RKS Servers Downtime....

PY004

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Don't know if this is the right section, but here it is anyways.

All of RKS servers will be temporarily shut down sometime in the future to upgrade the Operating System. As of the time I am writing this, the time has not been set. I will however post a reply as soon as I get definite confirmation on the time and date of this upgrade.

I expect that the upgrade will take up to 24 hours depending on how fast I can reload and set up the server. My server host estimates 3 hours in the worst case senario to reload the servers with the new images. After that, it will take me 30 minutes to update the servers and about 1-2 hours to reupload the backups from the backup server. After that, a few hours to reinstall the various services and software that run on the RKS server.

I will be aiming for bringing up the MSC servers first. To do that, on VA2, we need to install IIS, Plesk, and TCAdmin and on VA1/TX1, we will need to install TCAdmin before we can install MSC servers. Hopefully this process won't take too long.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I don't have the exact time and date yet, but I will keep everyone informed through this thread.

jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
No problem! The short time your servers have been here is a blessing, awesome awesome servers. I wish you luck in getting them back up smoothly and quickly.

• Admin

PY004

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks,
It's been scheduled to start within an hour. I figured this way, I can have it done through the night and all servers up by morning.

• Admin

PY004

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have just received the RDP access from the Datacenter for the two VA servers. I have over 300GB of files to upload to the server to restore it, so it will be a few more hours before the RKS MSC Servers come back online. Thanks for your patience!

3:26AM EDT UTC-0400
Recieved RDP access to the TX servers.
Finished Uploading WebSite Backups to VA Server 2.
Windows update on VA1 and VA2 complete.

4:50AM
VA2's automated systems are refusing to accept the backup files. Attempts to circumvent this has failed. Manual Restoration will be used instead. This will extend the time expected to fully restored from 6AM to possibly past 4PM.
VA2 has been sent back into the reimaging queue. Some of the CP are completely messed up.
VA1 and TX1 has been fully restored. However, they are dependent on the MySQL DB on VA2 and as such will not be able to resume normal functions until VA2 is restored.
1Gbps VPN links between VA1 and TX1 established.

1:01PM
VA2 has finished restoring from backup. Proceeding work on VA1 and TX1.

4:16PM
VA2 IIS optimizations complete. FastCGI and WinCache has been installed. Updated PHP.
Plesk CP updated. MySQL updated.
TCAdmin has been set up on VA1, VA2, and TX1.
Uploading Game Server Backups now.

8:02PM
TX MSC Servers are now online. Server has been restarted, so it should be back up in approx 5 minutes.
VA MSC Servers are still WIP, but should be online within the next 30 minutes.

• Admin

PY004

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
All RKS MSC servers are now fully operational.
Sorry about the delay, took a lot longer than expected due to problems.

If there are errors or bugs or problems, please indicate here and I will try to fix ASAP.

PS. I may set up a couple MSC servers in UK, depending on circumstances.