RKS paypal

Gorynych

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I know this isn't the RKS site, but I know thothie gets instant beeps from troubleshooting.

Me and Dark-Fox are trying to donate to RKS directly, however their donation-thingy is down. Would anyone be able to pass on a message or give the robot a wee nudge? We can't seem to get into contact with him.

Kinda wanting to do it pre-patch, and we all know that's SOON. :wink:

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Gorynych said:
I know this isn't the RKS site, but I know thothie gets instant beeps from troubleshooting.

Me and Dark-Fox are trying to donate to RKS directly, however their donation-thingy is down. Would anyone be able to pass on a message or give the robot a wee nudge? We can't seem to get into contact with him.

Kinda wanting to do it pre-patch, and we all know that's SOON. :wink:

Valve Time, yes? :p

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
1ed7cad35bbb500b7e6959c9d0fbbdb7.jpg
Was hoping for New Years, but mapping and item end is going a bit slow...

Hush managed to donate via Paypal using the address [email protected] as described yonder. Be sure to leave a comment with your Steam ID.

Gorynych

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Still getting an error trying to do it through paypal.

"This recipient is currently unable to receive money."

Seems RKS is overflowing with money at the moment? :wink:
I'll keep trying unless there's another option.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Freaking Paypal...

Ya can try sending a PM to RKS - maybe he can resolve whatever dastardly deeds those con artists are up to now.

PY004

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
PayPal account is currently offline due to something apparently. All I know is that I have no idea what it is, and I have not received any information about this block yet. Paypal must be being Paypal. As such, I dont see a way to donate to RKS until this matter is resolved.

Dark Fox

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Warriors of the North
DarkTide
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Meh, this is really annoying, because I really wanna donate. ._.

I'm wondering Thothie, if the donation link doesn't come up before the update is released, could I be put in as a donator and be able to donate when it gets back up?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Patients...

I'd update my PayPal and take the money for you, but I lost ~$7000 to those crooks once, so I'm not big on the idea of letting them have access to any of my bank accounts again.

I'm sure they'll resolve whatever's going on soon enough - or freeze RKS's bank account - one or the other.

Dark Fox

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Warriors of the North
DarkTide
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Let's hope it works out.

And sorry for me sounding impatient, but I'm just a really paranoid person and just wanna be on the safe side. x.o

PY004

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Looks like the PayPal account is gone until they finish processing whatever it is that they are processing.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
effingpaypal.png

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
I've used my paypal to buy countless drugs and drug paraphernalia... Time to remove my bank accounts :oops:

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Lucifer Majiskus said:
I've used my paypal to buy countless drugs and drug paraphernalia... Time to remove my bank accounts :oops:

I'm surprised you didn't consider buying a brain, given the amount of stupidity you display towards this community. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Behave you two, and take the bromance elsewhere. Presumably folks will be monitoring this thread in hopes of new PayPal news.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Uhh... sorry to bump this, but me and another person would like to donate to the server in hopes of getting better in-game performance :oops:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Looks as though RKSzone's PayPal is still blocked. :\

Dunno if RKS has another way to receive tributes to The Cause.

TBH - the Chicago servers are mean as f*ck though - about the best performance you can get - only hope would be that there were more of them in more locations.

Jonzay

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
I'm interested in donating as well.

While I'd prefer to donate via PayPal, depending on how adventurous they are, RKSzone could always consider accepting Bitcoin.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I'm thinking we need to work something else out... Paypal may never give RKS access to his money. They're like that sometimes - increasingly so, as their popularity has dropped, and they have to resort to more criminal activity to make ends meet. Having lost a few thousand dollars to the PayPal crooks myself, there's no way I'm signing up for that scam again.

Bitcoin's kind of a pain to work with... The only other way I have to take in money is tied to a business I co-own, so I canna risk it, as it wouldn't be just my butt on the line. (Also, I think sums <$100 are kinda out, or something like that... Maybe it's $20? Canna recall...)

So... The other idea I had, is for people to purchase models for the game, via TurboSquid, and donate those instead.

Sticky bit, as Drew just pointed out to me, tis a bit more difficult than, "Go buy us som3 mod3lz!" - cuz, well, we've certain requirements - and apparently animated monster models ain't cheap. Weapon models are fairly reasonable, but also take longer to get put in. So, I suspect I need to set aside some time to browse and link up a list of options...

From a potential legal issues point of view, it might be better, as there's no way for it to be misconstrued that we're somehow profiting from the game through donations - all we get is game materials, not cash. Still, given what it costs RKS to keep all this crap going, I'd much rather he be getting some cash, were it in anyway possible. (Which is still clean, really, as it's going to our hosting service, not our developers.)

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Maybe RKS could just post his bank information.

Incidentally, I'm looking to move all of my money out of Nigeria, so this could help me.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
If you are approaching donations via turbosquid models, perhaps it would be best to open a donation thread for such case, specifying models already donated, so people don't end up buying the same model twice and donating. Of course they could do that, but it's a little bit of a waste, if you know what i mean!

D.Drew

Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Sticky bit, as Drew just pointed out to me, tis a bit more difficult than, "Go buy us som3 mod3lz!" - cuz, well, we've certain requirements - and apparently animated monster models ain't cheap. Weapon models are fairly reasonable, but also take longer to get put in. So, I suspect I need to set aside some time to browse and link up a list of options...
I linked the models from that PM to Truewarrior, he told me they'd be a pain in the ass to work with. Something about the textures being 2048x2048, and that he's never worked with the .obj extension.

I'd love to donate self-made models, but I doubt I have the patience to learn how to model.

I'm willing to donate around $40 worth of models, but an actual modeler should probably be the one to pick them out. It'd be much simpler to donate directly to someone's paypal, though. Pretty sure moneygram would work, but he'd have to pick up the funds.

EDIT: Would this work? http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/cyc ... max/870212

I was told to avoid 3DS Max, but that model looks amazing and the animations kick ass. Probably one of the best models on that website for only $30.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The texture thing isn't an issue, usually, especially if it's 1:1 ratio like that. Just scale it down to 512x512, dither the palette, save as 8-bit BMP. The compiler will handle the rest with no need to remap, provided there's no auto-tiling involved (usually isn't with a texture that large).

Obj will import into just about any modeling program, but it doesn't keep bones or animations, so really only good for weapon models.

D.Drew said:
EDIT: Would this work? http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/cyc ... max/870212

I was told to avoid 3DS Max, but that model looks amazing and the animations kick ass. Probably one of the best models on that website for only $30.
Sadly, one of the reasons it looks amazing, is it's 14000 poly and bumpmapped. Plus we've got no fur render.

Won't look nearly as good translated into Goldsrc and 14k poly is a bit on the ridiculous side. Still, *might* work, but iffy. Anything animated with over 3k poly has to be broken into submodels to compile, and I figure 10k is our upper practical limit for bosses, maybe 6k likely to appear in groups of two or three, 2k for small groups maybe up to six, 800 poly or less for swarms.

Most of the poly appears to be in the face, I might be able to break that off, scale it down independently, import it back in, and reassign the bones, and get it down into the 10k range that way. Think I had to do something along those lines with models/monsters/keeper.mdl (which still looks good - donated by the Eclipse crew.)

4k poly is about our limit for weapon models, but I can scale down poly on non-animated things, to a degree... Sometimes fine details will be lost in the process (as will all the bone assignments, but that isn't an issue if it isn't animated, so it's okay for weapons). If I have to scale it down *too* much (like more than 50%) it'll break apart in odd ways, but usually things have to be pushing 100k poly before they do that, though things like, snake hilts, are among the things that suffer. Anything over 100k poly I usually just plain old can't load.

Again, I really need to make a list, but need to also find the time to do so... (And yes, would make a new thread.)

Jonzay

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Is there still no way to directly contribute money? I have terrible creative taste and would rather donate raw funds then choose a model that I think is good and everyone else thinks is terrible. :p