Ring suggestion

Borya

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
A glacial palace in the elder forest of the north.
After playing some ms_underpass, I've thought of a ring that could help some of the players who are a bit lacking on the dexterity side, and might have trouble hitting certain enemies (I probably fall into that category).
____

Ring of Gravity

This ring would cause any attempts to jump by enemies within a certain distance of the wearer of the ring to be unable to or at least have a shorter jump distance. Or possibly just enforce a short cooldown between jumps made by certain enemies.
I imagine it could make some sense for a ring like this to require a decent amount of spellcasting skill to make full use of it (20+SC?).
The purpose of the ring would mostly be to make it easier to keep certain critters (such as Ogres) in melee range, although that could at the same time be a drawback if the wearer was at low enough HP to want said enemy to jump away and disengage temporarily.

Another, more obvious drawback could be (greatly) increased fall damage, which could actually turn it from something that's probably not even noticed by most of the playerbase outside of one or two maps in particular, to something that exists as something to pay attention to everywhere.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I think, unless fall damage is enabled for the map (such as Bloodrose), it's fixed, code side.

Sadly, not all the mobs use the same system for their jumping, so I canna think of a way to disable them jumping universally.

It'd actually make some mobs, including the ogres, quite a bit harder. One of the things that makes them easier, is that they tend to jump and run each time you hit them (the cave ogres being slightly less prone to this behavior). If they just stood there pounding you instead, their DPS could get pretty insane (like the Queen's, but with faster attacks).

Meanwhile, all I could suggest is to use blizzard/hoarfost to slow em up, or stun them with a blunt. Wont stop em from jumping, but'll let you get more hits in as they jump away.

Borya

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
A glacial palace in the elder forest of the north.
Yeah, I could see it being something that'd come with it's drawbacks. Personally, I'd at least give it a shot for some maps.

As for blizz/hoarfrost on Ogres, I tried that. I'd say at least a good third of them I was chasing, when hit with that (or any DoT, really), would jump for just about every instance of damage being inflicted, unless they were already in a jumping animation. It was quite silly. Did the ogres take a level in bunny or some such?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Several levels, I think...

The regular ogres jump a bit more than intended, as when they were made, not a lot of players could do enough damage to make them jump in a single strike. It was assumed it'd be a rare they took much that much damage at once, thus they've no cool down for it.

The newer cave ogres have a cool down on it, and the amount needed to trigger bunny rage scales with their HP - still, pretty easy to make em jump - they do it less often, but almost always on the initial strike.

The evasiveness is part of the intent of the mob, though it was also intended to nerf them slightly, rather than make them more difficult... For the whelps though, I kinda feel it's half the fun - chasing down the bastards - plus, on Underpath, you risk triggering more mob spawns while you do it, and if ya chase them long enough, risk getting overwhelmed... So, for that map at least, it's kind of a game play gambling mechanic.