Reliable channel overflow...

Terry

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
My char was working fine just before 11pm PST(feb 12),I traded an GiB for an Flamlick from Demon then mapchange then Overflow...
not sure if im over item limit or not , Please Roll back my character. Thank you.

Terry
STEAM_0:1:416664
slot# 3
restore date to Feb 12, 6am or 12pm
meaning of life: 42 , Live everyday to its fullest...

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Have you tried char_recover? I think avoiding a rollback would be optimal, seeing as you traded just before it.

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
fixed your character...

I swear this is some new bug in MS:C your character overflowed with not even 50 items... on top of that your character size was only 2.78kb, not even close to the max size of 4 kb. Even more interesting is the fact the size difference between your working character and non working character is .01kb, what really throws me through loops is the fact that even after making your character pickup and purchase new items to a size of 3.08kb you didn't overflow...

anyway enough of my rant

your character was restored to 12th at 12pm (don't worry I didn't actually make you buy anything.)

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I determined that size isn't what causes the overflows, its more the number of items and amount of bags (or bags in bags). On a side note, with the last patch the urdual ring seems to be causing problems, dunno if thats involved here.

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
I thought it would be number of items as well, however if you look at my character I hit the 75 item limit all the time and have yet to overflow, and yet in terrys case he is only at about 45 items and overflowed. He didn't have any bags in bags either so... this is getting rather interesting. I have a theory it might have something to do with the string size being passed to MS:C from the FN server.

The thing that makes me different from most everyone is I only have scrolls I don't have many weapons at all, so most of the things I carry have small names. So could it be that after being sent to MS:C for loading the string size is just to big?

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I loaded up on about 20 ice daggers which have an incredibly long script name (Thank MiB) and did overflow at about 60 items with a file size of ~3600b. I had a theory that it was totally filesize, so I made a test that deleted all the map info (which takes up ~1kb) and I was still able to overflow with about the same amount of items, but only at ~2700b.

So I figure its both item file name size and amount of items. I had thought of a fairly complex way to fix this, mostly involves slowing down character loading, but I haven't really worked on it yet since I've been sidetracked by other more feasible fixes.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
The server sends weapons to the client via script name (I would think), so a longer name would naturally kill the channel quicker.

Oh, and you know that name ROCKED, Shuri :p (Blame Thothie for keeping it :roll:)

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Your right MiB, but its not all one message... like the Spells message that breaks after 192 bytes (why you can only learn 8 tomes, 'working' on that too).

I guess I'll have it print how many bytes of JUST item names are in the character file, and figure out where that overflows. Something tells me its gonna be more complicated than just byte size though (i.e. I think bag loops are a big killer).

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I think our time may be better spent with fixing the messages themselves, so people can stop being limitted. Based on the Ring incident, I get the strange feeling that maybe items aren't clearing from the channel properly, and thus are building up and eventually causing overflow. That's about the only reason I see for the ring causing 2 Reliables (thus far) ...