[RAID] Need help getting a spell

Hammer

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I didn't want to put the name in it in case it counts as a spoiler... but I don't think it does. Just in case, though, I'll do it all roleplay-like:

I've heard whispers of a spell, one so toxic it clouds the very oxygen men breathe. I've heard that it lies where few men go, and the dangers are great, for only a fool would come alone. As a practitioner of the arts, I simply must have this spell, but all attempts to obtain it myself and with a couple of others have failed. Aye, we have come close many a time, and we kept trying, but after thrice thwarted, it is clear that for me to get this spell, I require help from more powerful adventurers. It is why I post this up, a call for other powerful adventurers to help an aspiring mage add a powerful spell to his collection. I fear that none may be up to such a challenge, it will be very dangerous, but the tales will be great! Should you be interested in this venture, and able to do it at the time posted below, scribe thy name below this posting, and keep an eye on the server browser at the time posted or earlier. You will know when it is time to strike, to show the denziens of this land what real heroes look like, and that we are very much alive and still here!

The raid for the spell begins at 10:00 PM Central Standard Time. I hope I got the right area, but if I do have the wrong area/map, just let me know; I'm still fairly newish to MS:C and I don't know all the places to get special goodies like others do; I only have what I hear to go off of. (also don't want to mention the map by name, spoilers 'n all)

EDIT: Edited the subject to make this more fitting

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
It would be a spoiler if we gave you the location where it comes from, from your first line in the small text, i would assume it poison cloud tome/scroll.

Anyways, there are a few places to get the spell. I remember where the original place is and a possible secondary map to get the tome, but my knowledge about this game seems to be lacking right now.

Here's a few obvious hints:
-scroll drops from a map that starts with the letter B and ends with the name of a flower (also i'm pretty sure this map has stability issues for like 3+ years now, not sure if it's fixed, so good luck getting to the final part without crashing! Map is rookie friendly for the most of it, final part is level 25-30 material with the proper items or group of players);

-tome drops from a map that starts with the letter C, the first three letters form the name of an animal, the entire map name indicates something dark-ish (you gonna need a team for this one, preferably a good team with at least 600+ hp and elemental resists items/pots and good ranging attacks/spells, prepare to die quite alot).

I think there are other spots out there, but i can't remember.

Hammer

New Adventurer
Reaction score
If that's the case, then I know where I need to go, I'll just need some extra powerful hands. This is a good chance to get active in the game guys, I can't do this alone! Let me know if you can join in on the fun!

Hammer

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Couldn't get anyone to show. Doesn't seem the time worked out well, which I anticipated. Was worth a shot, though I'm not giving up; Next time will be when more people are likely to be on. The next time is this Saturday, 10:00 PM Central Standard Time. I can't complete the adventure myself; Please post character name below if you're able to come with and help with a fun adventure, like the days of yore!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
10PM Central, as in 8pm PST on the 5th? I *might* be able to do that, think I'll be outta Kaiser by then, assuming they get me in the chair on time. Post up another reminder come Caturday.

There's another option that Zeus didn't choose to spoil, rather than meeting you online and actually helping you, though while the odds are better than the other two, I'm not sure if it's anymore stable. Also, I'm out-classed there. Granted, I'm outclassed nearly everywhere on the main, but there I may have just enough HP to bump a self adjust tier, and equipment too dated to really help. (Damn I need to rig up a new self adjusting system - still can't reach Oyster's rig to see if it's even possible to work on.)

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Eh, i haven't even fixed my main issues that occured this patch (getting lag each time i hit the wall or enemy). It's not worth doing a map with very few people, should always get 4 to 6 players to farm for items. If you get 2 more players to boost the drop rates on C-map, i could try and join in with my main or alts. I'm usually available at around 30-60 minutes after your suggested time to meet up.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Meh, maybe I can run some debugs on ya while yer there, see if I can find anything, though I'm pretty much limited to diagnostics on FN, and really have no clue as to what would be causing that.

Only thing I could think of is the client side sound system, but it woulda started plaguing you back in DEC2013 then.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Well, initially the problem was the shields, which i fixed by taking them away. Initial problem was massive lag caused to everyone in the server + server crashing. Now i have a tiny version of the issue, which makes my ping spike everytime i do hits, i have yet to clean my galat and see if that fixes anything.

I was planning on transfering all my gear in the galat to new alts and attempt a fix at it but... lazyness(console gaming) got me, again. :oops:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yeah, well, the shield tomfoolery... Bleh.

But the Galat bank is just a string that sits in quest data until you use the bank. I really don't see how it'd cause this sorta problem. If it was a corrupt item issue, the item would have to be on the character, the ones in the bank only exist as names, not entities, until the chest is spawned and opened.

The only other thought I had would trace the conflict to an even older patch, but try:
• Checking r_decals in console. After spawning, should be 300. Optionally, try setting it to 0 after spawn.
• Delete pldecal.wad and tempdecal.wad in the root msc folder.
• (If that doesn't work, delete the msc/logos folder, and repeat the delete.)

Could be the temp decals wad corrupted, and is trying to load a bogus decal (wall dent/blood) sprite every time you hit something.

...Though could also be a graphics card driver/setting not liking OpenGL sprite's attaching to textures, which isn't unheard of, but shouldn't happen on either AMD/nVidia.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Well, thing is, the lag issue by hitting walls/enemies only occurs on my main character (zeus), all other characters work fine.

I've been cleaning my galat and items i had on my main, i sort of figured out the problem, i think. After removing all the stuff from galat, i didn't notice much of a change, but when i transfered all my bolt/arrow stacks to my alts. The lag issue seemed to have vanished. Also using a shield on my main now or on an alt while my main was ingame, only caused lag to the server, but didn't crash it. While previously it would crash the server in 2-3 seconds of holding a shield, if my main was present (lost another 3 shields today testing some more).

The issue was most likely stamina/weight related or the stacks were somehow bugged.

I have to try a large group run in the future, see how stable my main is now.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Could be one of the stacks was corrupt, or the stacking changed, or they were in an embedded bag and thus re-shuffling themselves every frame. Granted, how any of that would result in only getting lag when striking stuff, I've no ideas, but meh, game is chaos incarnate.

Hammer

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Update: I was hoping to get the scroll of the spell. However, if that's not possible due to instability, I'm willing to go for the tome. Note that I don't know the place hinted at for the tome though, so I'll need help once we join up on the server, if everyone's available at that time. Will post a reminder early Saturday, looking forward to what will hopefully be a fun little raid!

Hammer

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Reminder that raid is today at 10PM CST! Hopefully we can get more people grouped up now!

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Oh bloody hell, i thought i read 10AM CST... 10PM is problematic, that would be 5 in the morning here i think.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The time neareth... I can barely move, but eff it.

Hammer

New Adventurer
Reaction score
The raid was an absolute success, at first all I saw was Thothie and I got worried. Then Kanta came in, Shriden, Buttsifter... and we had a good group going. Many deaths later, we managed to defeat all adversaries that stood in the way of awesome loot. I can't say what all happened due to spoilers and all, but I will say that all involved were great, and thank you for your help! I hope we can get even more raids going, for even others to get items too. My eyes will be on this section for anyone else's [RAID] requests so I can help out too! This topic can safely be locked, we are at a great conclusion and thank you to everyone involved!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
273041-youdefeated.jpg

I was impressed, got through with no server crash or major glitches, got multiple [main objectives] between us and a [shweet majeekul shword] for my poor, poor main, who may have actually broke even on XP loss to gain ratio for once. (Was down to 70% damage vs. Atholo from all the times he clubbed my brains to pulp.)

Those pits tho... Damn those pits.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Well sadly i wasn't around, i managed to stay up untill 3.30 AM chating with a buddy, but sleep effects were getting stronger by the minute that i ended up going to sleep...

Perhaps a new time setup (earlier) would make the situation easier for me and maybe some others the next time it happens. :wink:

It was also my fault for assuming you said 10AM not 10PM, if it was AM, easy stuff to get online but otherwise it would be difficult.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Kinda wondering if we should setup an official MSC TeamSpeak server or something to make it easier for folks to get together and not have to rely on the internal chat system. Not sure if worth it though.

Hammer

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Kinda wondering if we should setup an official MSC TeamSpeak server or something to make it easier for folks to get together and not have to rely on the internal chat system. Not sure if worth it though.

I do currently run a TS. I would be more than happy to dedicate space for an MS:C space (3-10 channels or more maybe). Not sure if that's what you have in mind, but the offer's open. If it helps MS:C I'm happy.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Meh, i don't know...

It's not a bad idea. I see little to no reason for having a TS, people would most likely still chat/voicechat ingame, or through skype or party chat on steam.

The only benefit of a TS is if people want to sit in a lobby all day and chat. I don't see this happening that much as i doubt many people will group up and suggest going to TS but i do see Oyster sitting in the TS all day just for the heck of it and people getting on TS just to annoy other people. :roll:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Hammer said:
Thothie said:

I do currently run a TS. I would be more than happy to dedicate space for an MS:C space (3-10 channels or more maybe). Not sure if that's what you have in mind, but the offer's open. If it helps MS:C I'm happy.
Sounds great! Put up the address/channel/password in the FN Server List sticky, and I'll put it in the readme on the next patch.

Mind you RKS hosts one too... The recent forum dip, however, kinda dominated our last exchange. ;)