Questions regarding development of new maps

FreshMeat

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Hello, folks! A friend and I were discussing things planned for a series of maps, and some issues regarding implementation arose. I need someone like thothie or MiB, who both might know something about this, to answer or anyone who does know. One of the features of the maps is the ability to save quest data, implementing a check-point system that will resemble what's done in some maps already. Brain storming for ideas on how we might do this with the scripting system, an idea was tossed around that we might save quest data (very small amount, as tightly byte-packed as possible) to individual character-data files hosted on FN.

The questions are:

Is this possible? Can we save data to a character file? Much like what is done for shards, to keep players from getting more than one shard.

What are the limitations on saving data to a character file? What if there are hundreds of quest data that were to be saved to the character file, what is the practical limit that can be achieved without causing problems like overflow?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yes and no... And maybe... We discussed this at length yonder:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8959

If you want specifics on how to attempt it (ie. help with the script system), post in the appropriate mapping section, or send an IM.

I suspect you're looking at complex quest data constructs and some creative use of msarea_transition. Perhaps coupled with the restricted gauntlet system that is already in place.

FreshMeat

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Hello Thothie, I am excited that you replied so soon. In the post you linked where you were against the idea of using inns as checkpoints, there seemed to me to be a bit of misunderstanding. The examples you gave, where you rent a house in Deralia and afterwards not being able to fast-travel to Edana, were you using those maps as mere examples, or do you believe that our intention is to make every map work this way? The latter is not the case, as the checkpoint scheme will only be implemented for the series of maps being worked on to circumvent map-voting into the end maps, to help the player feel tied to the quests, and to keep players from having to back-track at every reconnect, server change, or break from playing.

Also, the way we intend to accomplish these things aren't set in stone, as the capabilities of what we are able to achieve with the system have not yet been confirmed.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
FreshMeat said:
Hello Thothie, I am excited that you replied so soon. In the post you linked where you were against the idea of using inns as checkpoints, there seemed to me to be a bit of misunderstanding. The examples you gave, where you rent a house in Deralia and afterwards not being able to fast-travel to Edana, were you using those maps as mere examples, or do you believe that our intention is to make every map work this way?
No, I didn't think that was the intent - I figured he was talking about two of his own maps IIRC... (Or maybe one of his own and an inn in gate city)... Killing all transitions was another topic that somehow got mixed in with it.

It just seemed illogical from that perspective... Renting an Inn resulting in canceling your rental in another... Seems some more logically intuitive system should be in place. Maybe binding stones, or some such...

In any case, there's plenty of systems in place to restrict travel between maps that work dependably, and they can be rigged to be either uni or bi directional, or even setup as hubs, but beyond that...

FreshMeat

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
One of our goals is to make as much of the work done by the scripting and map side, so that if the ideas we try are just as bad as they may sound, we can change the way it works without needing to change anything else, involving no work on your part. I'm not calling you lazy, I merely understand that it is not your responsibility to make our ideas work.

Whether it be binding stones or staying a night at an inn, the end result of tying a player to a certain place via fast travel is still the same, correct? I want to separate how we are going to implement ideas from what ideas we want to implement.

It seems all my questions so far have been answered, now work just has to be done on our part to get things moving. Thanks a lot Thothie!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
FreshMeat said:
One of our goals is to make as much of the work done by the scripting and map side, so that if the ideas we try are just as bad as they may sound, we can change the way it works without needing to change anything else, involving no work on your part. I'm not calling you lazy, I merely understand that it is not your responsibility to make our ideas work.
Actually it is... Since we've no other scripter... But I r saying I canna think of a way do it dependably, as described, so you'll have to hack at it, while I work on things I know I can make work. ;) ...Or tweak the idea in such a fashion that I can make it work.

FreshMeat said:
Whether it be binding stones or staying a night at an inn, the end result of tying a player to a certain place via fast travel is still the same, correct? I want to separate how we are going to implement ideas from what ideas we want to implement.
The effect would be the same, it'd just make some sort of sense. Doesn't have any baring as to whether it's possible though.

FreshMeat

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
I'm gonna try to learn how to do the scripting so I can do it, and help hippo learn too! I don't think it'll be too hard to learn since I've got so much experience in such work already. I really just don't want you to feel obligated, like you have to do it, because you don't. Though it is nice to hear that you are willing to help. I'll be posting in the mapping section if/when I run into hurdles.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
If ya don't already have the scripting package, send me an IM, and be *sure* to IM me with any questions ASAP and without hesitation, as I'm sure you'll have lots - even without trying something this unusual.

I've been considering making the scripting package public and putting it up in that sticky... Said sticky, being a wreck - seems it didn't quite survive the forum transition - prob have to make a new one.

I really need to write a new, fully detailed scripting doc... I started on a variant for the wiki awhile ago, but as no one can edit our wiki, that format is rather pointless. Alas, no time at the moment - must work on patch. :\

FreshMeat

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Hippo sent me the package the other night, so I'm pretty much all set! Only thing left to do is read, learn, and ask. He also set me up with a test map and test npc, so I can go ahead and start learning and testing. I'm actually starting right now, wish me luck.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Just need a map and a model update... And I'd be good...

edit: ...and now just a model...