pvp/pve/classes

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
so i'm too lazy to retype all this so i'm just going to quote a pm.

ceriux said:
so i was thinking. instead of worrying about balancing pve with msc and classes why not just leave it JOAT. but in deathmatch mode on a deathmatch map, let the players choose from a class each with its own perks, skills, and equipment. although none of this equipment would carry over to pve or the other way around. idk if you've guild wars 2 but something similar to that. would be nice to gain pve points though allowing you to get different sets of gear for your favorite class (even if its just cosmetic =) )

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
I'm completely opposed to the idea of leaving the core gameplay for JOAT only. I definitely want to see a class system some day.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
if that were ever to happen at least to me, it would be top priority right now. why would you balance the game as it is then switch it over to have to balance it again? i don't see that happening to be honest.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, while JOAT will always be a viable option, in MSC, the Title system is basically designed to plug you into a more specialized role (aka. class), with increasingly more dramatic advantages and penalties at each tier you opt to go into (increasing levels of specialization). There's also some quest lines and role playing factors involved.

I can't think of a good way to implement temporary classes on the fly, via votepvp, but it maybe more viable, if you had a PVP map with defensive and offensive roles. In such a map, it maybe possible to apply temporary effects on the people who select to fulfill those roles, and have players select from them at the beginning of each round. It'd turn into Wizard Wars/TFC right quick though.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
sounds pretty fun to me. way better than boring old pvp. objectives and roles usually keep most things from being bland. it gives you a purpose. however in pve esp in msc it pays to be JOAT but it requires a TON of grinding. but i even think having pve JOAT can still be fun with better mechanics and maybe some map remakes. MSC still has quite a bit of mixed content none of it flows very peacefully. id like to see more quests. and maybe instead of having a huge map with a ton of nothing in it. why not build in some mini dungeons for those quests , they can be lore friendly but non major quests. so they can be things like "i lost my favorite sword down at the old cave. I was running from a giant slime when i accidentally dropped it! the slime devoured it soon after.." then you help the npc retrieve his sword from the belly of the giant slime.

maybe also adding simple quest indicators, i know its not very immersive but it would help a lot.