Reaction score

Red Cell

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
That axe looks so damn good!

I really hope those bear traps can be plant-able weapons!

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
I'd love to see the beartraps as plantable weapons but it might also be cool to have them function like the "mines" in Knights of the Old Republic. In that game there were "traps" in the form of mines that could only be seen if you had certain stats (like awareness) high enough. They could also only be disarmed if other stats were high enough. It might be cool to have traps scattered around certain areas in MSS that could only be seen and/or disabled with if certain attributes had reached certain levels.

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Now I wanna try getting into modeling... I'm so jealous of your abilities!

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words!

School has been pretty busy for the past couple weeks so not much action on my end. I was able to finish my book UV and texture today and also made progress on the Longsword and mid-range bow models. Hopefully those models will see the light of day soon.

It would be nice to get fresh and unique concept art for MSS. If anyone is interested, please post and/or PM me with your ideas.

Red Cell

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Will that book be a prop or a useable item? Either way, looks good!

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Both the closed and opened books are props. I need to make a higher res book if it will be used as inventory and/or if physics will be involved.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I'm reluctant to say anything in regards to MSS unless specifically asked, for fear that it may look as though I'm trespassing, but from the various back and forth I have had with Orochi on the subject of game mechanics, while these are all BEAUTIFUL models... I was thinking it might be wise, for sake of game mechanics, to setup more modular, easily modified, weapons, so you don't wind up with the whole 1 unique model = 1 unique weapon syndrome as you see in MSC.

I *think* we had come to the conclusion that a more dynamic weapon system would serve the game well, so that a base weapon, with various modifications, would be the norm. Thus you might want modular blade parts, gemstones, hilt types, etc. to indicate various modifications to the weapon at hand. Thus you'd have a series of base weapons with various possible modifications to damage, speed, and damage sub types, in various combinations etc. The hope was to have a large array of base weapons and randomized modifications more akin to the Diablo/Borderlands style "infinite weapon" games, with various subtle hints in the weapon construction to visually demonstrate the differences. A particle system would likely aid the visual differences in the magical weapons, but a model with exchangeable gemstones, runes, and skins would further aid in quick identification and adding visual variety.

Just a suggestion, mind ye. Such weapons take a bit more forward thinking, but I think you've got t3h l337 5killz for such a task.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Thank you Thothie for saying something before I made too many models. I always wondered what kind of system would be in place for MSS, between interchangeable parts or the MSC approach of different skins. I can certainly make different parts, and it would actually help me out a lot. I just need to get a finalized concept of what parts are needed so I can start planning where I need to make my cut-off points.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Last I heard, he hadn't ironed out that bit yet... But you can make some assumptions: speed enhanced blade vs. damage enhanced blade, various elemental DOT, maybe bleed DOT (eg. sawtoothed/spiked). etc. etc. until Orochi gets back to ya at least.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
We'll iron out that bit later. The meshes can always be altered. Continue with full meshes for now. Dynamic texture alterations can be done with (I think) material proxies, so don't worry about that. We can go all-hog with the modifications mechanically, but the visual representation is something we need to iron out in the future. For the time being, it will probably be relegated to simply the weapon's function and not the visuals (unless it does something like shoot a sword beam). Weapons with randomized bonuses and enchantments are a great idea, but visually they incur a large cost. Just look at TF2; went from a 4 gig game to a 9+ gig game, just because of all the art assets they pumped into it. Also, do remember that we're not building a medieval Borderlands here; don't expect a parts system as intricate as that game.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Awwwww...

Granted, all Torchlight and Diablo do is provide different particle effects on a few base weapons. Granted, they also don't have the "weapon constantly in your face" first person view.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I'll try to get something in there in that regard, but no promises. As I said, we can probably do in-situ reskins via material proxies, similar to how TF2 does some skins.

MrJohnson

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Just a little shout out from a silent lurker of the forums, these models look really good - I hope you keep your spirit pumped to do more awesome art for my someday-I-will-play-it-dream-game MSS :)