People?

bodyhunter

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
The True Followers of the Lost
Reaction score
So just out of curiosity is anyone still around and actually playing? cause i've been looking for someone to help me out with getting back in

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The player base took a major hit in late February/early March thanks to Valve's latest Half-life buttlove... But it seems that, despite that, there's always at least four or five players on the main FN servers. I strongly suggest manually adding them to your favorites.

The RKS EU servers going down isn't going to help either... FN is also getting a lot of hits from servers not on the list, that I can't get to show up in my browser for the life of me - it maybe I should start gathering their IP's too, in hopes that someone else can, but there's no way for me to tell which are open 24/7. :\

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Guess it's time to reapply for FN access, whenever i get back to ms:c that is. As i'm not going to play in USA servers that lag the f*ck out of me in most of the new maps (eg: hunderswamp gets delayed and laggy for me in non EU servers, plus overflows) and give me headaches with the 200-350 ping i get most of the time.

I *could* try setting up a crappy ded server when i return to portugal mid-april, though chances are that the server will have bad ping to most people from outside of EU, even the ones inside could still get crap ping... despite being from EU, my internet connection sucks there sort of. It's just that i'm planning on buying a new gaming computer, so this current one could be used for hosting a server every couple of days each week i guess.

And with time, if i happen to get a job there in a month or two after my return, i could perhaps get a better internet connection and set up an even better server, but yeah, all depends on what will happen in the future.

PS: I don't know if this is weird or not, but my half life still hasn't updated, last time two times i launched it, one of the times it asked me to update the game to a new version, i hit cancel on the interaction box, 3 days later i launched the game just fine, no updates occured, game still worked, magic! :roll:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Generally, when you uncheck something in an application, it stops doing whatever you unchecked...

For instance, unchecking the auto-update in Half-Life's properties...

For a program to behave otherwise, well, this isn't normal...

...But when you're on Steam it is! :oldangry: /notevenonce.jpg

Not sure how he pulled that off, as, before this patch, having updates disabled actually worked, but once I re-enabled it, it hit me with the 'download our new improved version nao!', and just kept popping that up - not letting me load until I told it okay... (But at least I accepted, fully intending to acquire the bugs - unlike most folks.)

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
MS:C community said:
zeus9860 said:
half life still hasn't updated ... i hit cancel
Generally when you cancel something, it doesn't happen.

Except it's steam. Also what Thothie said, it's true and happened to me alot of times before with other games, kinda weird half life gave up on updating after i hit cancel once...

eisiger

New Adventurer
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
I came back after not playing since before Continued, so I didn't really expect to find too many familiar faces. What I do find are overly eager friendly people just throwing op gear at me and one deaging my bears.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
eisiger said:
I came back after not playing since before Continued, so I didn't really expect to find too many familiar faces. What I do find are overly eager friendly people just throwing op gear at me and one deaging my bears.

How to play:

-Never accept items from strangers, unless said items are hard like hell to obtain and will be annoying to get later on. Also it might have aids, depends on the person handing it over, better be safe than sorry right?
-Avoid pretty much any player that acts like a troll in-game (like me, it happens at times with certain people), though i act diferently with new people as long as i don't see they are the "funny smartass type".
-Avoid any -16 teens, from my records most of them go on spitting garbage like the words "zomg lewt pl0x" all over the damn place, killing the mood in the server. (This applies to both new and old players)
-*censored* (not a good idea to share exploits in the forums...) :roll:

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
zeus9860 said:
eisiger said:

How to play:

-Never listen to me :roll:

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Lol, lookie who it is, the butthurt kid who never got over it and lost the game! How's it going son? :wink:

-Avoid any -16 teens, from my records most of them go on spitting garbage like the words "zomg lewt pl0x" all over the damn place, killing the mood in the server. (This applies to both new and old players)

I attracted one here, man i'm awesome!

EDIT: Where's my manners, should have made an introductory post for Le Mighty Lucifer Majiskus, but since i don't care, i'll just resume all of his life into one single word: Wordor.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Edited for clarity: Zeus, can we both stop this idiotic nonsensical childish bullshit? As funny as it is for me and the rest of the community, I'm sure it gets old seeing two people bitch and moan about one another's own actions and have them do the same thing. With that said, I've gotten over this before it even started. I'd really respect it if you could let it go, as well.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Like i said before, i was just messing with you on steam the other day, you went full retard on me, people who do that get insta-blocked for life. Plus you were the one to bring it to the forums, both times, not me. Hope that helped. :wink:

Also i have yet to ask you this: what makes you think i care about any of this crap? Like honestly, i don't know you, you don't know me, pretty much sums up to me not giving a f*ck to people i don't know and yes, this is funny and i'm having my moments. You are the one "trying to stop it" but yet you are also the one "bringing it up", see what i did there? :roll:

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Alot of people vanished because Valve updated half life for linux, which then completly messed up things for everyone else, i don't think they still fixed the issue itself. (Only going to bother playing ms:c next month again so i don't know if they fixed the issues)

So yeah, pretty much that, and people get bored of grinding, typical stuff in this game... play new maps, get loot, grind some more, go poof. Vicious cicle i must say. ;)

And some of us, stick around in the forums when the game itself get's boring or looses interest for the time being.

FreshMeat

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
My best bud that plays every now and again, Xanny, is a young one yet really fun to play with. So I can't really agree with dodging the younger folks around these parts. Actually, I don't think I've seen him on since valve did that update.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
FreshMeat said:
My best bud that plays every now and again, Xanny, is a young one yet really fun to play with. So I can't really agree with dodging the younger folks around these parts. Actually, I don't think I've seen him on since valve did that update.

From my experience, most of the 12 year olds running around ask for items, hacks or act stupid on the mic. If not, act like wordor (see above for examples). Yes, there are 12 year olds playing games online who are more mature than 18 year olds, though finding such person to exist these days, in such a small community is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Guess you got lucky, if he's that much of a stable youngster, i used to be one too, but then i took an arrow to the knee and stopped giving a damn. :roll:

FreshMeat

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
He used to be a little rowdy on the mic, but I think that was because he was nervous. Once I befriended and got to know him, he showed his true calm self. Maybe I rubbed off on him and that's why he is just soooo cooool.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
zeus9860 said:
You are the one "trying to stop it" but yet you are also the one "bringing it up", see what i did there? :roll:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If not, act like wordor (see above for examples)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTsOUA3lF-hxTrCEJFop3yIgCU5jGEmxy61YUnrjB-1ffPyy7BWJg.jpg

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Don't be hating wordor.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
No... I really doubt it.

Either there is an all new crew there, that has no idea why the old crew did what they did, and is wrecking everything trying to bend the software to their preconceived notions - paying no attention to the previous group's motivations or reasoning, *or* they are actively and maliciously trying to kill HL1 modding, in such a way they can blame the community itself, rather than be vilified for simply disabling the feature. (The former, seems more likely.)

However... In my current hybrid build - that I should really back up - I apparently have a SteamCMD compatible client, that has *almost* no mouse issues, even with m_rawinput on 0... *except* I can't double click - which makes MSC inventory a pain.

If I could duplicate that (suspect just an accidental result of shuffling installs around so many times) - then *maybe* I could find a way to compensate for the double click bugger code side (ie. "Hey, you clicked on the same thing twice!" - rather than relying on the engine's internal buggered double click detection.)

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
old engine dies, new engine shows up. If they do that and it's better than source, i can let it slip (hl3 incoming!).

Though ms:c would die, which would be a problem... Perhaps it's time to get this mod rolling on non steam side? Cause i see no good ending if valve just messed up half life with an update that they won't likely fix. It would be sort of futile to keep on working on the mod if they do this kind of stupid sh*t all the time. Going non steam might help the mod more than ever.

Earth special forces runs mostly non steam servers most of the time, i'm pretty sure they are doing fine, steam players get stabbed in the back because of updates but at least people could always give it a shot. Though i think there would be a problem with character storing (central server is based on steam id's for rollbacks and other mumbo jumbo).

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Most professional hosts are wary about hosting non-Steam servers due to the legal/moral issues it involves. For us, there's also the worry of FN security. However, most of these non-Steam servers do have options to filter out non-Steam clients.

As for a new engine...

Source, suffers from mods killed by updates more than any engine I've ever seen... MUCH more so than Goldsrc does. Indeed, I have very often seen a lovely new and original idea come out on Source, only to be slain in its tracks less than two months after its release, due to some random Source update. Many truly beautiful Source mods have been killed this way - including nearly every one in our own genre (eg. Eclipse, Altered Kingdom, etc.)

I suspect, any new engine from Valve is going to be plagued just as badly by this, or worse. They really do not give a sh*t about mod stability, or they'd do what Unreal did, and allow you to keep an independent copy of the engine under each mod folder. They really have zero appreciation for the fact that all of their main line products came out of mods, or people who worked on mods.

Sadly, any MS successor is more or less destined to be on the Source engine, simply because HL1 modding skills transfer more easily to that engine than any other. :(

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
id still disagree with that thothie, almost all content can be ported (just used) directly to FTE, or Darkplaces. The hardest part after that would be recoding the game in qc/csqc. quite a few stand alone games have been developed on darkplaces (mainly single player. quakeworld is better for multiplayer games.) even some what recently.

both server and engine code is available for the engine as well.

the alpha release for half-life even shows that they just modded quake to build their engine.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
That's no secret, but easier said than done, to be sure... Much more difficult than porting it to Sing or Xash, which has been a no-go thus far.

And I suspect the next gen MS game's creators would aim for a newer engine, rather than an older modded one... Even if it would give them, yes, total control over the engine.