Parry problem

madmanmick

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I bought a trainer shield, and have been sitting around having the crap bashed out of it by skeletons, boars, bears, spiders etc.... however my parry skill blatantly REFUSES to increase from 2. 0% increase... always 0%... whats the deal?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
madmanmick said:
I bought a trainer shield, and have been sitting around having the crap bashed out of it by skeletons, boars, bears, spiders etc.... however my parry skill blatantly REFUSES to increase from 2. 0% increase... always 0%... whats the deal?

You do actually have to have a weapon in the other hand and attack once apparently. Weapons have parry stats too, so the efftiveness varies with the weapon.

Other odd thing, is that Parry gets "stuck" for a really long time a certain levels. There are some players who concentrate on Parry more than I who can give you the details on that.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I have parry at level 35, and I'm proud of the fact that I've never concentrated on leveling it up :D

madmanmick

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Yeh i do usually have my skullblade in the other hand, and i do actually fight enemies and use my shield... as a shield. However still nothing, and thats been for maybe 2 hours of gameplay :D. The slowness of the skullblade makes me cry sometimes.

I also found a bug, when i have a Trainer shield and a perfect skullblade (I dont know if this carries over to other swords and shields), sometimes my shield becomes the only weapon the game recognizes, and it does not register me attacking with my sword (It has no effect on the enemy whatsoever). I found that this can be fixed most of the time by switching hands and having the shield as primary fire and the sword as secondary. I take it you guys know about that one?

Also, i know this is going to sound dumb... but how do you get money these days? It seems that when i sell rare items like special swords and stuff, i usually only get up to a $150 (rarely), yet alot of the items go up to and over $8000, and i rarely have a rare item to sell.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
items are really expensive at the moment because CERTAIN COMMON ITEMS have yet to be price-nerfed, which gives many players a near-infinite source of money...thothie tries to reduce the ammount of money these players have by making them buy expensive things...but he has yet to completely nerf thier source of income, thus, making it worthless -.-

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
madmanmick said:
Yeh i do usually have my skullblade in the other hand, and i do actually fight enemies and use my shield... as a shield. However still nothing, and thats been for maybe 2 hours of gameplay :D. The slowness of the skullblade makes me cry sometimes.

I also found a bug, when i have a Trainer shield and a perfect skullblade (I dont know if this carries over to other swords and shields), sometimes my shield becomes the only weapon the game recognizes, and it does not register me attacking with my sword (It has no effect on the enemy whatsoever). I found that this can be fixed most of the time by switching hands and having the shield as primary fire and the sword as secondary. I take it you guys know about that one?

Also, i know this is going to sound dumb... but how do you get money these days? It seems that when i sell rare items like special swords and stuff, i usually only get up to a $150 (rarely), yet alot of the items go up to and over $8000, and i rarely have a rare item to sell.

That's something I don't think ANYBODY has put thought into... about collecting items off from monsters and selling them (other than pelts)... or at least that concept isn't very popular. It would rock to better assert that as a part of the game though... like if you could find rare jewels off from Goblins (since they mine & live in mines) and sell those off for 50-to-5000 gold a piece (5000 gold rocks can come from bosses on special chance?)....

As for the shield bug, it means you attack/defended with shield quickly (perhaps with your actual weapon out, just before you brought it out, or as you brought it out) then tried attacking with the weapon. To fix that, attack/defend with the shield and hold it for two seconds, let it down slowly, then attack with the weapon. It'll clear up just like that if you do what I just mentioned :D

Finally, it takes more than two hours to level up parry some :oldlol:
You need to hack away at it for a few days, fighting up close with monsters/enemies in order to parry attacks and level up parry in the first place. Just concentrate on leveling up weapon skills and magic (all of them)... bring EVERY skill up to ten-or-fifteen-plus and you'll notice that, by then, you will have gained a good deal in parry skill :) (Along with parry, comes higher max mana too!)

madmanmick

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Ok cool. Also, i bought a tome of rejuvenation before, and it says i am not l337 enough to use it... All i have is lightning and im like level 15. Also, i was playing on my brothers LAN server, in edana, and when we both moved to thornlands, it majorly raped itself... And now when he creates a server in thornlands, and i join, it gives him some no_free_edix error or something he tells me. So we quit and tried again, but this time round i got in, but i was missing half my inventory and the map viewdistance was really short. Oh and he cant join any sever i make, for some reason. I always have to join his through the console, doesn't show up in the LAN menu. Any ideas?

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Whenever I host a server, my brother can join just fine (and we're using a router with wireless support)... but when he host, things go to hell if I join his server.

I haven't been able to find any way to fix this error, or even what is causing it... yet...

So for now, I would recommend these two options ---
A) Whichever one of you usually host, stop hosting and let the other one act as the host for now (regardless of RAM issues).
B) Just don't join eachothers server.... it is still a mysterious area thanks to the saving system, no matter how cool it is... (I miss the instantly loaded client side characters... damn hackers for removing those as the primary method of playing....)

madmanmick

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Yeh, it used to work fine for us in the old version, but these days.... thing is he can never join my server when i make one, it just times out.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I don't know... one possibility could be Thothie's beta-patches are real playa-hatas towards LAN-networked servers...

Then again, they are beta-patches... we all know that we should expect bugs until the terms "beta" and "alpha" and "delta"... among others... are taken off. Even then, when they are considered full-fledged patches, without those beta-testing tags attached, they'll still have bugs in them...

Give coding until its next revolution for virtually all bugs to go away :D

If you are really desperate for some good LAN playing... and you miss being able to hack your character to ungodly levels... download the old MS-1.35 or something :D

I'm sure the DEVS won't care much if we were all to whore around on older client version... for the sake of being whores (joking, I don't even wanna remember times w/o magic and suffering from rampant looters/hackers) :D

madmanmick

New Adventurer
Reaction score
yeh but 1.35 doesnt have all the new stuff that msc 1.0 has... such as spells and dual wielding and maps and stuff.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I know :)
I kind of summed up that, and why you shouldn't revert to that old crapper (as is appropriate to call it in comparison to present day MSC), when I mentioned the lack of magic in it :D

madmanmick

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thats cool... i guess i will just have to keep my pants on for a while so to speak until that bug gets fixed (if ever). Is there any word so far on progress with MS for Source?

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Nope; none; nadda!!! And don't go around whining for a progress update either :D

The DEVs, in all their glory, will update us at their own pace. I will place hope in that this forums is beyond asking anything of the development team; especially since they've already produced something that can't be replicated for Half-Life without copy/pasting the entirety of the MSC coding...
(I hope that is an accurate representation of how much trouble you DEVs went through so we could grow fat with lack of exercise as we played your creation) :oldlol:

EDIT:
Speaking of that... what ARE you DEVs doing as of late?? Working your asses off or something? :D
I am interested since I hardly ever hear from any of you... Kuro post a good deal, but not too much (or I haven't seen too many of those posts)... and then comes Lanethan as next in line...

Kuro and Lanethan are the only DEVs I know of and am able to acknowledge... I've never heard from any of the others now that I think about it... do they despise forums :(
I knew it! The other DEVs hate us! They hate all of us!!! :arrow: :(

:oldlol:

Would be nice to hear from some of the others... perhaps in off-topic section, with jokes going forth 8)

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Damn... you're paying close attention to the forums aren't you! I am only watching them during commercial breaks from Dawn of The Dead :D

madmanmick

New Adventurer
Reaction score
ah mate i have nothing on today, its 3pm here atm, im just stuffing around at home today, exams are nasty work. It warns me whenever there is a reply so usually im on the ball. I tend to only roam forums for brief periods of time though hahaha until i have another problem that needs to be sorted. gonna go and play supreme commander.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

This is partly lag, and partly the lag compensation in the hard code going overkill (not found a way to fix this yet without breaking it completely). It does have the advantage that it stops you from abusing your shield... One way around it is to double click your shield when yer done with it, another is to use quickslots to ensure the switch between sword and shield registers, and then finally, there's the hand switch thing you just mentioned.

Even the newest of players tend to have more cash than I do (around 8k) within a few days, seems to be a matter of knowing where to farm, and knowing what you can sell, where (the latter of which is a bit of a hit-and-miss thing, since in many places, venders are random). I've not spent time doing trade runs, but I do know I have about 2500gp of useless stuff on me, if I just took the time to go to Gatecity or Helena a few times and sell it off. (semi-spolier)

items are really expensive at the moment because CERTAIN COMMON ITEMS have yet to be price-nerfed, which gives many players a near-infinite source of money...thothie tries to reduce the ammount of money these players have by making them buy expensive things...but he has yet to completely nerf thier source of income, thus, making it worthless -.-

No clue what you are talking about.

like if you could find rare jewels off from Goblins (since they mine & live in mines) and sell those off for 50-to-5000 gold a piece (5000 gold rocks can come from bosses on special chance?)....
You'll never see that much cash in one place. But I was intending to add gems and jewelry to chests, until that item limit thing came up. (We're working on that, progress is promising)

And now when he creates a server in thornlands, and i join, it gives him some no_free_edix error or something he tells me
You can't only start a listen server on certain maps ATM (or on any map where monsters spawn on global or an insane variety of env_models). You're safe starting in Edana (and probably Helena)... I haven't worked out the list, but I know Edana at the very least is safe. After the listen server loads on that map, you can switch from there to any other map, as the item precache is done. This is also related to how close we are to the item limit. See also the ModExtraData error thread for more detailed info. This has no affect on real, dedicated servers.

madmanmick

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Ok cool, well it first crashed because we went from Edana to Thornlands, and when that loaded it did the error, then from there on we could not reload that map directly. I guess we could try edana again, but what are the chances that it would happen again? eitheway the game is still worth the crashing.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Awww... no jewels/mass-sellables because of the item limiting bug :(
Well, once that is fixed... I guess it'll simply rock, since then I (among others) will be able to earn some spare $$.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
thothie, said "CERTAIN COMMON ITEMS" are in nearly every chest above the thornlands level...the chest usually contains 1-4 of these items, and the items sell (to merchants) for up to 700 in certain areas helena

that should be enough of a clue to figure out what they are with relative ease, i just dun wanna post a spoiler if they aren't gonna be fixed within a few days with a patch...were it closer to dec 1st i'd just blurt it out...but... :\

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
evilsquirrel said:
thothie, said "CERTAIN COMMON ITEMS" are in nearly every chest above the thornlands level...the chest usually contains 1-4 of these items, and the items sell (to merchants) for up to 700 in certain areas helena

that should be enough of a clue to figure out what they are with relative ease, i just dun wanna post a spoiler if they aren't gonna be fixed within a few days with a patch...were it closer to dec 1st i'd just blurt it out...but... :\

Better PM me - cuz I still have no clue what you are talking about. :)

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
evilsquirrel said:

To be truly smart about this, you had best PM me these items first... and what treasure chest contain them :D

madmanmick

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I remember a glitch in the original release of MSC-1.0 where you could sell apples in helena (from helena merchants to others) for around 10000. That bug has been phased out luckily enough.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yeah, I see how they made that mistake. For some stupid reason, the amount an item costs multiplier works by a percentage (ie. 100-120%) - while the amount to give the player when buying an item works by a multiplier ratio ( ie. 1.0-1.2 ). I wasn't warned of this, but was lucky enough to catch on through experimentation before anything bad got out in those regards.