*NEW* Suggestion Thread... Curtiousy of ... Other Games

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
You should never post a WIP model on these forums. They are cursed... No WIP model ever posted here has ever seen the light of day. ><

Belmont

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
In the MSC folder, and to skin items or weapons, use Photo shop and make textures (Search online tutorials), wads are used for maps.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I was refeering about skins for weapons.

Aslo which are the minimun requeriments for a weapon model to be sibmitted?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
sorry for my grammar.

I tried to ask which are the rules to follow so the weapon "might" make it into the game.

CONGRATS Thothie, im a VS fan too. VS until death :twisted:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
More importantly, VS after death...

It's almost purely asthetics, and I'm not too picky there, so long as you aren't making a replacement worse than the original... If the model has so many polys it lags, it maybe a problem. You must have the arms integrated in the view model and it helps to conform to an existing set of animations.

But again, any model you post before completion will never see the light of day - it's the curse - no one can get around that. Some of the best models I've ever seen are in the Art section - all WIPs, all never completed. Such a cruel, cruel curse. :oldcry:

I only have a about of 20 free model/sprite slots atm. I need to make more through model consolidation before I can add new models/sprites that precache before map load (ie. weapons/summons).

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
With Kratistos Decompiler module you can (mdldec.exe) but how to get the decompiled model that into milkshape, you'll have to ask someone else... I only deal with that modeling which can be done with notepad and photoshop.

Aldyn

New Adventurer
Reaction score
How about a single-target spell called "Magic Missle", you know, like off Neverwinter Nights, that would like, shoot a single homing projectile (like the hornets from Half-Life 1 singleplayer) and would do 10 damage/2 SC, that damage could also be influenced a small amount by what level the sub-skill that it is placed in is, (Like 1dmg/lightning skill level, if it is placed in Lightning). Also, the damage could be constant.

Lanethan

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Uhh, I'm gonna have to step in and say "Please no" to that one.

The developers and I did not make the game world as it is so that people could take dungeons and dragons spells and toss em in whilly nilly.
A spell that acts kinda like it? Sure, that's staple fantasy fare. But calling it Magic Missile would, in short, make me very angry.

Aldyn

New Adventurer
Reaction score
So it could just be named differently right? Like "Magic Burst" or something?

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Lanethan said:
Uhh, I'm gonna have to step in and say "Please no" to that one.

The developers and I did not make the game world as it is so that people could take dungeons and dragons spells and toss em in whilly nilly.
A spell that acts kinda like it? Sure, that's staple fantasy fare. But calling it Magic Missile would, in short, make me very angry.

I can see where you're coming from Lanethan, Master Sword's individual identity as a game/mod could be crippled if you blatently absorb old D'n'D concepts...

A spell relative to what Magic Missile does would be cool, but simply copy/pasting the concept/idealism of it is lame...
The current spells in MSC rock though (Fire Dart, Erratic Lightning, Frost Bolt, et cetera, et cetera) 8)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, homing bolts of energy can hardly be called a "D&D concept" - at least not anymore than Orcs could. ;) I suspect they wouldn't work very well anyways, given the way the AI works in this system though. I think as close as you could get is like the HL wasp shooter - and even then...

We are tossing fireballs left and right already though. Spawning lightning storms, blizzards, cloud kills, etc. There's a half-working Chain Lightning spell on the table too.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Making chain-lightning work = ZOMGZ SO AWESOME! :D

It would get buggy with fellow players around though, wouldn't it? Especially with PvP on....

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Probably not... Ally/Enemy auto-aim is determined by faction(race) and all players are considered "Human" under that system. Then again, players can attack human-factioned NPC's - and no other same-faction races can harm each other, so ya never know...

Fireball, certainly, harms fellow players in PVP - but it doesn't do any aiming like Chain Lightning would - it just goes "boom".

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Probably not... Ally/Enemy auto-aim is determined by faction(race) and all players are considered "Human" under that system. Then again, players can attack human-factioned NPC's - and no other same-faction races can harm each other, so ya never know...

ice shaman can shoot troll lobbers >_>

they were doing it on your server yesterday, i hid behind a troll lobber and the ice shaman took care of him ;)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Hmm.. I'll have to look into that, they should both be orc faction. Sometimes ice/fire spells with light up allies without actually affecting them though. Then again, if PVP is on - it may send the whole faction thing to hell, I've not experimented.

so many chain lightning should just go "boom" in a large radius in front of you

Unless I get an $insphere() function before december 1st - it'll probably work like the other target-acquisition functions, in that, yes, it does a large "boom" of 0 damage to find all it's targets, then hits them all those who are enemies of its owner with lightning bolts.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
would there be a way to not display damage if it is at 0.0 damage? that way the user doesn't get spammed with "You did 0 damage!" messages..?

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Since you can compile, just go to where it displays messages and throw in an

if (dmg != 0)

before the display function >_> Nothing else is really needed other than that

Lanethan

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't have a problem with a projectile spell that homes in a little bit and fires nice little darts of energy. My problem is calling it "Magic Missile."

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
My problem is calling it "Magic Missile."

Well, we couldn't call it Magic Missile anyways - Wizards of the Coast would sue us. ;)