Need help with Hammer

Cuith

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I used to map for HLDM a long (read: when I mapped, it was called WorldCraft) time ago, and I've been wanting to give it a shot again. I'm using v1.34 now, and I can't get it to compile. I know why it isn't compiling, I just don't know why its doing what its doing to make it not compile.

I've got it pointed to my ...SteamApps/[email protected]/half-life/etc folder(s), but when I go to compile it tries to load files like ...SteamApps/[email protected] or ...SteamApps/[email protected]

Anyone know why it is doing this, and/or how I can fix it?

Also, should I download 1.35, or is 1.34 good enough?

*edit* Here's what its giving me. Its actually trying to load a [email protected] from the MAPS folder.

** Executing...
** Command: Change Directory
** Parameters: C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\[email protected]\half-life

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\[email protected]" "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\[email protected]\half-life\msc\maps\[email protected]"

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
"The system cannot find the file specified."

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
hammer + steam...deadly mix there...

anyways, not a permanent fix for sure - but you could always make your map file where hammer thinks it is. i had this problem for awhile, not sure what i did or didn't do to fix it..

Cuith

New Adventurer
Reaction score
What would you recommend I use for mapping?

Is it possible to play MS:C without Steam?

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I tried to use hammer with steam but... something ugly happened, but it's been too long, I can't remember what. I just use the version meant for HL before steam came out, though I do have it pointing at stuff in steam.

As for compiling, I use batch compiling, which I'm told is better. It's fairly easy to set up.

Heres an example:

cd c:\zhlt
hlcsg -nowadtextures -high "c:\Testmap.map"
hlbsp -high "c:\Testmap.map"
hlvis -high -full "c:\Testmap.map"
hlrad -chop 64 -texchop 64 -high -extra "c:\Testmap.map"
copy "c:\Testmap.bsp" "c:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\youraccount\half-life\msc\maps\Testmap.bsp"
pause

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
i currently use Hammer 3.5 beta, which can be found on the VERC website. it points to my ZHLT compile programs which are located in msc/dev (i put them there) and also a resource folder i've created to store all my map sources.

in short:

Find hammer 3.4, install and update to 3.5beta
don't store your map sources in your steam directory
get ZHLT for compile programs, and use whatever method you prefer (batch is good if you get it set up correctly, but i do not use it)
map, save often, create backups when you feel it is neccesary.
consult forums for additional support if this doesn't help.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Flaw with that material is that it doesn't take into account that sometimes compilers will barf at long paths, particularly if they have "@" in them.

Like Crow said, copy all your wads, compile tools, and map data into shallow folder and compile from there. Safest way to go - also gives you better control over wad overlaps and contents.

Cuith

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I'll have to read through the tutorials, because I don't remember how to do anything special.