My art show!!!

mrfranswa

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Ok, not REALLY related to ms, but I just had an opening, and this was the sculpture I submitted to the show:

Here is a shot of the entire sculpture. This is it's front.

Here's a closeup of the face

Here's a shot of the base

Here's a shot of its back

Another detailed shot of its back

Currently, it is in the, "art gallery", aka main unnamed gallery in towson's main gallery. It has the best spot in the entire exhibit next to a window. Now, you might say, "shouldn't you walk around the piece?", and the answer is yes. It is far enough away so anyone can walk around it, however when the back is turned from you, it appears as if it's looking out the window down to the second floor. I also won the sculpture award in the show, (sucks it was only a 50$ scolarship), but it will look great when I apply to put my work in galleries. If anyone has 3,000$ I'd be semi glad to sell it to you ;). I kinda wana keep it though, because it's a great piece, and I'm going to use it in my professional porfolio to submit to grad school, galleries, exhibitions, ect.

Components-

The sculpture is made from three components. The first is scrap steel that makes up nearly the top half of the sculpture. This is basically 1/4 inch steel rod for the tendrills, 1/8 inch steel for the body, some 1 inch steel bar to make the digits in the spine, a piece of Rubarb for the spine, galvanized and non galvanized steel for the neck muscles and various car parts for the head. The base is made from two cast iron brake drums, an old cast iron crankshaft from an old tractor, and some kind of oddly shaped beam thing, (from a car, dunno what it's used for), to give it extra stability. The mask is a secret technique I created, but it's merely plastic with some metal shavings rivite'd to the sculpture.

Technique-

The entire top half's body is fabricated via cold and hot hammer forging and then welded to a basic skeleton made from some kinda roundstock, (u can see it in the pic, I forget it's exact name). almost the entire thing was made using a oxyacedalyn torch. The rubarb was forged in a forge, (big thing that shoots a lot of heat out of it), to give it it's curvature. The tendrills were basically created by welding a long metal rod onto the structure, and then heating it up with a cutting torch and bending them into place. The head was created with various car parts and welded into place with a mig welder. The bottom half is merely some car parts that were brazed together, (because you can't weld cast iron). After the entire thing was fabricated, to enchance the rust I used a mixture of water and bleach to give it a bright red patena. After the skin became blotchy I covered the entire thing with a sealant.

Problem with the pictures is that they don't do it justice. The texture alone makes the piece amazing to see in person, (and is the cornerstone of it's craftsmanship). I don't have any super high quality pics on me, but if I can get some I'll post em. My favorite is the back, (you can tell). because it shows this detail the most.

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
That is totally awsome, love the textures of the materials you have used!!

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
omg! thats awsome!!!! its i dont know it looks dark but not evil almost sorrowful... i love it!

New Adventurer
Christian Warrior's of God
Reaction score
It's pretty cool^^
reminds me of jenova from Final Fantassy7 and a terminator :p

Jester

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Very good work :D
I'd have to say it reminds me of a character from the TAKEN(not the alien one) might be wrong name though

meazum

New Adventurer
Christian Warrior's of God
Reaction score
Wow! Cool strogg stalker cyborg thing!
I don't know how much time it would take for me to think up and do something the like , maybe four years..

Forgot to add!: Veni veni venias ne me mori facias.

Vomica7

New Adventurer
Reaction score
meazum said:
Wow! Cool strogg stalker cyborg thing!
I don't know how much time it would take for me to think up and do something the like , maybe four years..

Forgot to add!: Veni veni venias ne me mori facias.

first rule of art, never assume what it is and for god sakes dont ask what it is. :wink:

Axehel

New Adventurer
Reaction score
right you should never assume because when you assume:

you make an ASS out of U and ME......lol

mrfranswa

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I kno what you mean, it DOES look like a thing by mrfranswa. Do you think he took his inspiration?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

Red Cell

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
mrfranswa said:
I kno what you mean, it DOES look like a thing by mrfranswa. Do you think he took his inspiration?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

Yeah, probably...little punk. Should have his thumbs cut off so he can't make anymore copycat art.

Red Cell

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
meazum said:
Are you stupid or are you being sarcasti RedCell? I hope you're not serious, so I can laugh at you!

Of course I'm being sarcastic, but you can laugh anyways.