Murmur

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Long ago, in a dimension of the cosmos unfathomable to mortal minds, there was born - if such a term can be used for it - a being of such unbelievable power that its very entrance into existence shattered all reality around it.

Known only as Murmur, it was the essence of sound. And to hear it speak was to know death eternal!

Existing only for chaos, its slightest whisper meant the destruction of whole worlds!

Yet still, there were those that would try to worship this mindless being. There were even those more insane who dared to think to control it!

And lo, how the mighty fell trembling at its feet, fearful that it might direct its words upon them.

But still did these charlatans, these worshipping pretenders to a non-existent religion, rail against the inevitable in a vain attempt to control their 'god'. Uncaring, and likely not even noticing them, Murmur yawned and they knew oblivion.

Yet one somehow managed to survive, and in his insanity found a way to bring Murmur into the world.

A mortal possessed of arcane and dark knowledge that none could surpass, he devised a method to enhance his summoning through the capture and use of souls untold.

Whole civilizations were brought to extinction through his soul devices to fuel the ritual through which he and his conspirators would bring Murmur into their world.

And summon forth Murmur they did.

Powerful magics of containment and silencing were employed, held together by the constant supply of souls being fed into them. Yet still they could not control the beast, could not bend it to their will.

These mortals began to devise different strategies, and one after the other they all failed. And in so doing, they weakened the rituals, accidentally giving Murmur the slightest modicum of freedom.

It was all that was needed.

Only this book survived the cataclysm that destroyed their world. Those proud and foolish men who thought to control a cosmic being of untold power.

Would you, the possessor of the codex, do the same?

Have you devised a foolproof method to summon forth Murmur, or any of the other entities cautiously whispered of in these unhallowed pages?

We shall see.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
d00d, i kill murmur all da tiem. i r0x liek dat.

i deserve my own cult now, come to me - my minions!!!

silliness aside, good story - but makes murmur seem a wee bit too powerful for how he is now XD

Vlad

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Not quite the bear god he used to be?

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
nop its not the bear murmur, its the element of sound murmur

murmur_qjpreviewth.jpg

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The three letters I was thinking were more "WTF" - but I wouldn't know, never having played WoW and all - but then again, shoulda guessed.

The only unimaginably powerful horrific extra-dimensional gods we have are The Lost - I do not think we have room for another Lovecraftian leftover in the mythology. Plzktnx.

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
just wanted to show the story, no intention of putting it in nashalrath or anything

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Well, the elves were the most Loreldian-looking creatures created, so you could just imagine elves ;-)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I'd be suspecting taller elves originally, however, I'm fairly certain that that description would only apply to The Triad and those gods who did not lose the War of Fate. The Fallen were essentially gods "banished from existence" - and weren't real happy about it, as such, insomuch as you got any manifestation, I'd be expecting more monsterous and twisted with rage. Likely a twisted semi-corporial assembly of hatred in no doubt some very demonic form.

wiki said:
Horrors: Fragments of the former intelligences of The Lost scattered to the winds during Loreldian Wars of Fate sometimes re-coalesce into these cruel killing machines. Horrors revel in the torture and slaying of the living creations of The Triad of Loreldian gods left behind. They generally wait near some pit or other hazard, waiting to push in unsuspecting travelers. Some of the more powerful ones are drawn into the armies of Lor Malgoriand.

So, maybe more like horrors, but not as kewt. ;)

Tull

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
evilsquirrel said:
pretty much, but weren't the loreldians taller or summat?
I believe I red that they where quite tall. Something like 15 or 20 feet or something, but I might just be mixing this up with some other made up mythology. Was a few years since I red it. :S

Lanethan

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
The orginal Loreldians stood on average 10 feet tall. However, being creatures that are bound so closely to fate that they nearly become manifestations of it, their physical forms change over time to reflect their "inner being." Felewyn looks much like a very tall elf, but Urdual looks much more like a dwarf. The Lost, it can be assumed, are very twisted and misshapen creatures born from the nightmares and lust for revenge that have consumed them for eons.

Oh... and wtf is up with this murmur thing.