MS:S Edana Hog Wild Extravaganza

Danforth

New Adventurer
Reaction score
This worthless thread will contain pictures of things, mostly of MS:Source's Edana. I plan on making it more of a small town and merging the sewers with the main map. The Temple of Urdual will also be located inside the town and will be filled with clowns instead of priests.

Also, I'm going to try something different with regards to the buildings. Instead of trying to squish everything together awkwardly, I'll make the indoor locations separate rooms in the void and when you approach the outside door of the building, you "teleport" inside. This gives me much more breathing room, makes the buildings look nicer, and allows me to completely ravage the laws of physics by making the insides much larger than they should be :]

Now, as an attempt to keep this thread from starting off as a complete trainwreck, I present to you a very rough model of the layout. The entrance to the sewers will be at the ends of each canal.

Shadeska

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I can tell this is gonna smexy.

But plan on making your own MS:S...cause it'll be a while before you can play that map in anything other than HL:DM.

Danforth

New Adventurer
Reaction score
i am not gay

Basic merchant's square is done. Also lay out the skeleton for the residential quarter (blue squares).

Danforth

New Adventurer
Reaction score
im gay

Slight update. The new gigantic hideous block will be the temple of Urdual. It'll be significantly smaller than the original (more of a cloister) and will feature gigantic scales up on the roof. I also broke the beaten path somehow.

Critique my map! Tear it apart! DESTROY! EX-TER-MI-NATE!

Drigien

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Re: im gay

Danforth said:
Slight update. The new gigantic hideous block will be the temple of Urdual. It'll be significantly smaller than the original (more of a cloister) and will feature gigantic scales up on the roof. I also broke the beaten path somehow.

Critique my map! Tear it apart! DESTROY! EX-TER-MI-NATE!

Looks like a good start, but looks a bit small (could just be the angle/zoom). Hope too see more progress soon.

Shadeska said:
But plan on making your own MS:S...cause it'll be a while before you can play that map in anything other than HL:DM.
Well, people could can use my mod for testing maps. It has a basic script system for making mobs/items/drops to test the approx dmg/hp/exp for an area, thou the player stats/skills/weapons will be different :wink:

Danforth

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Yeah I'll open up the residential quarter a bit more since it's a wee bit too small for a town. The temple district will also be expanded in order to fit the god damn thing inside.

Danforth

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Ok here's the latest development. That huge awkward round structure will be the temple of Urdual. I don't plan on making the walls accessible so the player would never look down upon the dome from the outside.

Here's a closeup of the temple. The cylinder stabbing it's way out of the dome will be the base for the huge scales, which I'm hoping to be a prop rather than brushwork.

Now I have a bit of a dilemma. Should the temple be too small, I could:

a) make a separate monastery for the priests to live in (current plan)
b) expand the temple quite a bit although that would make it look even more awkward
c) make part of the temple underground, perhaps the living quarters for the priests
d) men's asses

CHOOSE YOUR DESTINY!

villager

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I'm loving C and D, but could you make a dome-ish top to expand the temple upwards? If you don't like the idea, than yea, I vote for C.

And the map is looking great, but personally I don't large places (The space that's to the left of the temple). The unused space doesn't look good and feels wasteful, could you fill it in with walls (to block the view) or a water fountain? I don't think its gotta look good from a top view, spaces that look occupied brings a cozy feeling to the game o:

Danforth

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Yeah I could round the top of the temple out a bit. The unused space will contain something, maybe a garden of sorts or perhaps the monastery should I choose A.

Thanks for the feedback, keep 'em coming!

NateTehGreatt

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Reminds me of a mix between Stormwind City in WoW and the Imperial City in Oblivion xD

Good job though =)

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I like the underground idea, and think that you ought to add in a bit more underground stuff (training areas, that health fountain as per the original, and even the sewers[It's Source, go wild ;) ])

Danforth

New Adventurer
Reaction score
C it is then, although I wouldn't have minded D. This is a crude skeleton of the inside of the temple. It's hard to tell what's going on but I'll try to describe. To the left is a ramp leading downward into the living quarters/training areas/etc. To the right is a ramp leading up to the pulpit. The ugly column right in the middle of the temple chapel is the support for the huge scales. I'll probably have it supported by a couple rafters rather than occupying the middle of the chapel.

I'll probably change the ramps to stairways through displacements because there's no way in all hell I'm making the steps with brushes. The huge dome covers the entire temple and will be the main source of light, aside from torches and the like. Thus the walls won't remain huge solid blocks but will be something like arches.

I'm considering lowering the pulpit a bit since right now people would have to lean back to see the priest at all. Note again that the inside of the temple is a separate room in the void and upon touching the outside door of the temple, you're "teleported" into the inside room. That's why the outer walls look like freaky spikes.

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Looks awesome. I'm terrible at mapping in source, never did find any good tutorials for it and it is a lot harder than mapping for the original engine, at least for me.

Hope to see this in game eventually.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I probably shouldn't bring this up - but I think there's a reason the Urdual Temple is built into a mountain. Urdual created the dwarves, therefor, one would assume, most of his temples are built by them. So I suspect most are largely underground. They also have that whole black and white balance theme going, which this doesn't seem to have going for it. (I dunno if you've run through the original Edana map, but I think I can get you the source with Lord K's permission.)

Could be a large underground complex with a dome on top too, I suppose. So C maybe your best option for more than one reason.

Danforth

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Yeah the black and white thing will be there, just not yet since only the crudest of work has been done. As for being built into a mountain, have you considered that Edana might actually have been built over mountainous ground? I know it's a cop-out but that would be a valid way to keep true to the lore :]