MS:S Development Team

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Eh, dernit, can't do it from here, but I'll get a look and see if he ever used the MSS FTP server tomorrow.

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
BitBucket provides a free private git repo for teams of 5 or less. You should definitely consider that next time, so the code doesn't vanish if the coder does. :wink:

Wishbone

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Heroes of Dawn
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I think recently GitHub gave out free private repositories to some people, plus you can always set up an SVN server quite easily.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Neither of which help, if the coder decides not to use the service provided. :(

edit: And yeah, he didn't use it. Nothing new up there since Orochi's archives were put up. Looks like someone made some additional user folders, but didn't put anything in them (I'd be guessing RedCell attempting to get the team organized, rather than BoX).

So, unless we can reach BoX... We're back to square May 2013.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
wow... why not use unity... its super easy, free and I'm sure you could find a programmer using that engine.

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
One thing Unity has going for it is the use of C# which is a lot more intuitive than C++.
But sadly, it's an ancient version of the .NET framework, in which the garbage collector kind of sucks, so you're not really taking full advantage of C#.

Also, I believe there's a bit more setup-work for Unity, as you have to shape it to be first-person first, and then you can start working. The Source engine already has the first person thing going.

It would be interesting to see a Unity project though. And it would also mean OSX and Linux support.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Fiddled with Unity when modding Unturned a ways back - it's a royal pain in the ass, with tons of proprietary modules that cost serious money (Want navigable clipping boxes in your models? Shell out $500/month!) Eff that noise. (Not that it makes a whole lotta difference, as the current Source SDK tool set doesn't work for me anymore.)

Xero was working on that IIRC, but he got bored and/or hit a wall.

We should add a "why not engine X?" sticky at the top of this or somethin... Comes up in every damned thread.

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Want navigable clipping boxes in your models? Shell out $500/month!

Huh? That sounds ridiculous. I haven't done modding in Unity yet, but that right there, that is so outlandish I'm not even sure I believe it. :|

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Actually, you need UnityPro to create custom model buildings with proper clipping for that game. Which is $1,500 or $75/month, so a bit of an exaggeration. Still asking a bit much for such basic functionality such as LOD groups and mesh colliders, with an engine that more or less requires them. Dunno if Nelson ever rigged up a workshop function to get around it - did seem there were more custom models out there than there should have been back then, given that requirement, though a lot of them did not have proper clipping.

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I don't know if you're aware, but a lot of the Pro-only stuff was made free in the release of version 5.0, including LOD groups and mesh colliders.
And about the proper clipping.. Since Unturned is voxel-based, it seems to me that all the clipping would be composed of boxes. Why was it difficult to achieve?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Wasn't the case back when I was doing that... Dunno about now - seemed a bit of a scam though.

2015-07-17_00006.jpg

The map is a warpable terrain, while the buildings are placeable models. Neither is "voxel" in the traditional, Minecraft, sense, even though the visual style of the game looks similar. You *can* build things with blocks, but it requires a custom set, and tends to be rough on the resources, despite everything looking like legos already. Thus, instead, you put down very low poly pre-built buildings and props (such as the three in the pic above - not counting trees) on a molded terrain. At the time, most of the custom buildings and props didn't have proper clipping for the aforementioned reason, so you'd just fall/walk through em.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I don't know how many people I've seen that continue to use the Source SDK Launcher. Guys, it's deprecated. The tools ship with the games now and reside in the game specific folder, and the source code is on Valve's github repo. For mods I believe you can use the ones for HL2DM or HL2 proper depending on which codebase you use.

Vomika7

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I feel/hope that source2 will address a lot of these issues, I dont know what the hell has gotten into valve to let the sdktools get so shitty but i still have faith it will be fixed with more emphasis on the new engine, in the meantime I dont imagine the framework would be much different from source1 and it might not be so hard to port since DOTA2 has that source2 beta going on and CSGO to soon follow suit.

BoX

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Guys, I didn't "poof" lol. I did, however, lose everything including my physical backups so I'll need to reacquire everything again. From the old archives to any story related info, whatever is still available. I just got a new rig, and will have a second new rig soon to get up and running again. I can get online only sporadically for now, but I am already resuming coding offline. 8)

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
well... there is Daggerfall tools for unity. which is the bare backbone of what you'd want for a new mastersword game.

"OH BUT THE GFX BRO!?!?"

you don't have to use sprites, or old styled textures. everything can be updated to models and hd textures...

however I prefer my fantasy games for the most part to have graphics quality of hl2 and below. preferably below, however I know most people only play games because of the ultra 1337 gfx...

http://www.dfworkshop.net/

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Isn't that tech built to mimic Daggerfall within a newer engine?
I always worry when someone suggests building a brick house on a foundation meant for a tree house. :|
But if it fits it is a lot of time saved.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
yes it is ment to eventually play daggerfall through unity. however if you speak to the author anything can be changed , modded, added. infact people have already made mods with models, grass, dynamic skies, and multiplayer. its essentially a unity game, not daggerfall... its unity, running daggerfall. which that's if you actually want to say that its running daggerfall... currently nothing is in a "playable" state, you can load it up, fight enemies and travel around. someone has started to add in quests. but that's literally just another mod and the author of this "tool" said its to play daggerfall on modern hardware or to create entirely new worlds/games.

its more like building a stick house on a brick foundation..

Kermit

Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
MSR Developer
Reaction score
BUMP - who is still active in this team?

- I will very gladly, if I can get the time, join the music and SFX team.
as of now I have some releases with my artist name to focus on, but when I get time I would look into sword slashing sounds, impacts when hitting stuff, and such.
I have 8 years of experience producing music, from various genres such as ambient, dubstep, drum & bass, glitch hop, hardstyle, progressive trance etc.

Besides this I have my own "design company" where I do motion graphics, logos, artworks and such, thus this could be used to creating HUDS, etc.

Vomika7

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I second the notion to include Kermit, I've heard his work he is quite talented.