mapping stuff.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
been working on some textures and some structures. dont mind the one on the far left, it may not be included later on...

from left to right, shack, market stall, tavern.

before everyone gets on the YOUR NEVER GOING TO FINISH IT BLAAAAGH!!!! doesnt matter... its not for msc. just has the same kinda of theme. figured id get some feed back on here.

if you want closer shots just lemme know.

Video

mb1vidpreview.png

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
thanks stoned i appreciate your comment.

Video it's kind of choppy cause the recorder i used wasn't meant for recording games. but the audio is pretty good. ill add this video to the top of the page.

Red Cell

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Wow that looks awesome!

Wait it's not for MS:C?

It looks terrible.

Seriously dude, why not for MS:C?!!

jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
Your video made me want to kill myself, make it more interesting! Also, some more information on what this content is for would help criticize it.

Borya

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
A glacial palace in the elder forest of the north.
J-M v2.5.5 said:
Feedback on textures: they look nice, but are they sharp?

Are you seriously going to nitpick custom textures in someone's map for an engine that 99.999% of mappers that map for it couldn't comprehend that custom textures can exist even if the concept were made suddenly tangible in the form of a lead pipe being used to break their kneecaps? ;P

The map looks like it's coming out pretty well so far, keep up it up!

Edit: Oh, they're prefabs. Still look good though.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Borya said:
Are you seriously going to nitpick custom textures in someone's map for an engine that 99.999% of mappers that map for it couldn't comprehend that custom textures can exist even if the concept were made suddenly tangible in the form of a lead pipe being used to break their kneecaps? ;P
What engine is that? :\

Ceriux said:
these are all for my orpg which ill be developing on a heavily modified quake engine.
Ixnay on dees advertiseway for other modsway. >_>

jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
Oh, a heavily modified Quake engine, EHHH?
g2750_2.jpg

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
that is actually mapped using hammer 3.5, i plan to run the game im making via darkplaces. but right now im running it through fitzquake plus.

since people are asking, it's for the game i just mentioned obviously morpg like mastersword. i plan to have a custom hud, custom gui , visual equips the works. right now im at the planning and preparation stages. been trying to think of a good name. i want my game to be very lore based. although i wont advertise for any help here out of the respect (even though some may not believe i have any) for msc.

i want to add a really cool combat system iv been thinking of. sort of condemned 2 / morrowind (cept you hit a little bit more often)

i havnt decided if i want the player stats to be basic (str,int, ect, ect....) or the basic stats plus what ever.

this is a project iv been wanting to make for a long time. So i'm going to do my best on it.

if you guys want more info though , about anything. just lemme know.

edit: and no sorry i didnt mean to advertise. i just wanted feed back and this is the closest themed place i could talk to people about artwork that's taking a similar direction. im sorry if anyone feels that is what im doing and if it truely is a big problem. you may remove the thread completely. i got some good feed back so im heading in the right direction. all i was looking for =)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
ceriux said:
edit: and no sorry i didnt mean to advertise. i just wanted feed back and this is the closest themed place i could talk to people about artwork that's taking a similar direction. im sorry if anyone feels that is what im doing and if it truely is a big problem. you may remove the thread completely. i got some good feed back so im heading in the right direction. all i was looking for =)
Ye should setup your own web page and yer own forums, collect a following, and then you can get feedback there without violating the writing on the clay tablets here. ;)

I was also unaware that anyone had any issues getting custom textures into the Quake engine. I know we certainly have no issues getting them into ours. :\

Borya

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Thothie said:
What engine is that? :\

I'm refering to source, 'cause I know that J-M knows his things-involving-hammer, so I figured it was source.

While Source isn't a bad engine, I feel obligated to bitch about Source mappers at ever opportunity because it seems to me that most of what i see being pushed out for it, maps-wise, isn't really of the caliber that it really deserves to be imo.

Though now that I see that it's not Source I'm gonna take back what I said about sharpness being nitpicky ;)

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
same process as using wally for half-life but just saving to quakes wad format. unless of course your using half-life bsp . then it's exactly the same as you guys use.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Tis what I thought - but the comment rose because he thought it was Source engine - which is very difficult to make textures for.

Borya

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I skimmed through the process a little, the only thing that seemed bad was the part where it got a little codey. I'm sure it'd be not too horrible to figure out if one was to just take some time to frob all the knobs.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
i used to have a photoshop plugin that would do it and a tool which would do the coding, you just clicked little drop down boxes to setup what you needed.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yeah, I got that one... Makes VMT's or what not. Even then, it's hard to make a *good* texture, as you need a good overlay as well, and Source's texture filtering is buggerall insane. Never found a reliable way to scale up even 256x256 textures and have them look good in Source.

At least they didn't go the DDS route - not quite proprietary, but the PhotoShop plugin is pretty insane.

Dunno why folks just don't keep to something simple - your basic BMP/TGA or what not, a second file for bump mapping, text file for extra info, and then provide a pack/wad format if you want to save space or organize it - but only requiring the basic texture, so your mappers/molders don't have to go into coding... But alas... The more accessible video game creation becomes, the less likely the folks who make them are to be paid. ;)