map im working on...

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
hey, um... iv been getting bored just basically starting the game , running to thornlands, killing everything so iv been working on a new map that ill slowly be updating but when i get a playable version ill release it.

so till it says "mapname FINAL" it wont be finished work but ill still be releasing it lol....

heres a pic tell me some suggestions (the hollow box is just for testing wont be a hollow box on first release.).

wigsf7yh.png

kray1091

New Adventurer
Reaction score
HOLY CRAP THATS A BUET I can imagine my self walking across that bridge.

Can I give a sneak peek on my map? nothing special but just started 2 mins ago. :oldshock:

my first map hehe :D

Remeber I said "Sorry I take horrible screen shots"

[/b]

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
My oversized screen shot of the moment:
calruin2_hammer.jpg
Don't try this at home. ;)

PS. Why is that skybox so high? ...and those logs are going to cause you problems. ;)

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Thothie, looks good, hammer shots suck though ;) Give meh a screnneh! lol

Ceriux:

Looks like the waterfall vertical sections set at 90 degrees, the water in the pool at the bottom needs to be scaled up to about 2.5 on both axis, and rotated by 30 for a more natural less tiley look.

The terrain looks very flat, both on the cliff and grass, give it a little variation using some brushes as raised up grass (func_walls)
Also try this out:
http://www.snarkpit.net/editing.php?pag ... e=HL&id=16

Thats a good way of getting sexy terrain.

Hope that helps you some :)

kray1091, you may also like the tips for Ceriux

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Bleh, that damned terrain tutorial again...

Don't go nutz with that method, particularly in FPS unfriendly MSC. You'll want to use a MUCH less dense grid than he used there. Furthermore - don't start with a texture and go cliptool crazy - start out with the whole thing painted NULL - as very often, with manual terrain deforming, faces that should not render, do. Also this method is very easy to screw up and wind up with leaf's seeing into themselves, leaks, and other oddities.

For décor on Cer's map, I'd recommend some simpler method - add a few nice and simple bumps and such, made up of a few blocks and wedges, and toss in some bushes, either by env_model or solid {textures, and it'll lose that 'flat' look.

As for screen shots... These are FAST compile shots, so the finals should look better:

c2_hammershot.jpg
More or less the same shot seen in hammer.

c2_skullspitter.jpg
Skeleton maker one, in action. (Three shot panel)
Other two green ones put on similar show, but shoot out Horrors (which are big nasty flyin things I need to script still).

c2_itburns.jpg
Hot burnin love.
Don't worry about the out-of-place buttons - those are just there for me to test events. Developer buttons, as it were.
They shall be deleted before the final release.

c2_pentas.jpg
Pentagram Abuse

Screenshots from elsewhere on the map:
Calrian was a big fan of the 70's - This altar maybe a bit much
Blacksmith Hammerin away - This env_model is not moving ATM for some blasted reason. (And yes, I did steal that anvil from Helena)
Gotta ride a few of these red clouds FTW - weee!
Poorman's terrain rendering method - Kinda required for this unique situation... Conforming with the original map be a bit of a pain
Spider queen chamber having issues... - (Note spider on right)
Dear lord what huge... teleporters you have - :)
MSC + Ramps = t3h suck - *sigh* I'll have to monster clip this... I miss the days when ramps didn't make monsters go completely insane.

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Madness Thothie :) I love it :)

I showed that tutorial as its a good place to start :) Yeah Reno goes a little crazy though, but theres 3 pages/stages to that tutorial too :)

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
meh, the sky box in my map is so high cause like i said its a hollow box just for testing... and like i also said its not finished thats just the begging and i really havnt tryed to add ne detail yet... i think ill add most of that after i get the map finished and i get it playing the way i want.

oh and thothie Sexy Map :D

kray1091

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
PS. Why is that skybox so high? ...and those logs are going to cause you problems. ;)

YEA don't Do that EVAR you will get some weird outsideworld brush error :p

Calruin 2? AWSOME THOTHIE

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
its not that high it only does that if u make your map touch the edge of the editor.

oh and i think hes talkin bout ur logs, whats ur map gunna be like ?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Kray's logs - your skybox.

So, I guess you're just temporarily commiting the map-boxing sin. Not a good habit. Should build your maps from the outside-in. ;)

Your skybox deosn't have to go off the edge, actually. Sometimes anywhere near the edge will fubarb things - sometimes a skybox with just some odd angles will do it, depending on your light_enviroment settings. This is due to the way HLRAD determines sky lighting - it actually starts emitting from outside the map. And if it winds up emitting from outside the world, strange things happen.

But more importantly, yer final skybox shouldn't be much higher up than the highest point the player can reach - or it will generate lag for all the extra VIS angles.

Remember, a sky texture 10,000 units up, and one right in yer face, look exactally the same.

kray1091

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Yea ive messed up alot have my sky box on the edge of my graph haha

-Whats my map going to be like?

Well theres not much to say but - A tropical village with a volcano!
That picture up top is obsolete I decided to remake the map.

Im thinking about making that a 2nd map and and the 1st on a boat =)

EDIT: BTW Im also working a 3rd transition map inside the volcano - A surf map :p! maybe...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Never did see the map to see if you "tried" right. ;)

...Granted, still not really aware as to what a 'surf map' is, so mayhaps best I not judge. (been doing enough of that lately...)

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
its not possible because MSC doesn't allow you to change the following server setting

sv_airaccelerate (default 10) (surf needs 100)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
evilsquirrel said:
its not possible because MSC doesn't allow you to change the following server setting

sv_airaccelerate (default 10) (surf needs 100)
Can't add a massive push brush to compensate? ;)

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
not really, the sv_airaccelerate is what allows players to...

A) stay on the ramps
B) turn midair
C) go upwards at the end of a ramp
D) do the fun tricks you would normally do while surfing

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Hmmmmmm...

Maybe Jester or Fuzzy can allow me to stick in an MS_NPC who would uncap that cvar, and you'd stick it in specific maps.

kray1091

New Adventurer
Reaction score
well that sucks - It was an idea anyway either way I want my last map in a volcano =)

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Hmmmmmm...

Maybe Jester or Fuzzy can allow me to stick in an MS_NPC who would uncap that cvar, and you'd stick it in specific maps.

then all we would need is some npc's to shoot arrows at you while you surf 8)