1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for weapon concepts to replace stolen content

Discussion in 'Concept Art' started by Truewarrior, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Truewarrior

Truewarrior Member

I would like to redo some of our current stolen weapon models.

I don't know which one are ours and which one are stolen. and I would like to turn some of your concepts (add as many details as possible, colors/texture) into actually weapons to replace them into legit stuff.

2. TheOysterHippopotami

TheOysterHippopotami Source Developers

hooray! this is exactly what we need. The dark staff, I believe, is pretty stolen, for starters.

3. Truewarrior

Truewarrior Member

which one is the dark staff again? Do you have a screenshot of it?

4. Lucifer Majiskus

Lucifer Majiskus Sons of Babel

The pew pew zappy lazer mana drainer one!

5. Truewarrior

Truewarrior Member

you guys are overestimating my knowledge of ms:c -.-

6. Lucifer Majiskus

M_GlassStaff.png

7. Thothie

Thothie Administrator Staff Member

psycho-oligist
    Originally kept this in the developer's list for fear of what RKS might do with the Greenlight, but meh, I'm making it public, I suppose...

8. Truewarrior

Truewarrior Member

I will give a shot at making a new staff to replace 'polearm 1x16', the one that lucifer posted. I see no one has any concepts so i'll just go with something that poped in my mind, starting from scratch but keeping the green crystal theme in mind.

i'll mess around with some tests and come back with something in a few days, I am working 2 12 hours shifts for the next two days

9. Lucifer Majiskus

If it's not too late, you could kind of make it look like the wabbajack from Skyrim... maybe a bit more twisted/grim. More tortured of a face on it or maybe 2-3 mouths screaming in "pain"...

skyrim__wabbajack_staff_by_jarmanprops-d5ekqun.jpg

This is the Wabbajack from Skyrim, it is definitely more mischievous and silly, but you get my general idea.

10. Truewarrior

Truewarrior Member

mmm my idea was more of an emerald gemmed type of staff with crystal spires coming out of it. I guess that staff is evil in game?

11. Lucifer Majiskus

The wabbajack is less evil and more... silly... it turns enemies into a random (as in from a list) monster...

You could easily turn that idea into an evil tortured spirit wooden amalgamation of darkness though.

12. Dridje

Dridje Active Member

So instead of stealing weapons/armour/NPC models outright we're fine with having said models if they're made from scratch? :roll:

Yeah, Truewarrior, go with your ideas. Drawing a little inspiration is fine, but too much and we'll have people think we're ripping off other games regardless.

13. zeus9860

zeus9860 The True Followers of the Lost

Troll
    The current dark staff (while being a weird design) fits better as a necromancy staff, rather than a dark staff. The reason behind this is simple the skull, when i see a staff with a skull attached on top, it's usually connected to necromancy spells, not direct-offensive dark spells.

So my suggestion, if you are willing to rework the model is to create a pole with a floating dark orb (if possible, otherwise attach it). So the staff would instead have a dark orb rather than an alienized human skull with eyes that change color based on what spell you going to use. Also could use some sort of decoration around the orb that are attached to the pole, like curved spikes as if they were keeping the orb in place.

af87f6b815182abaa85d66ae2bbc278b.jpg

This image is a close example to what i'm trying to "picture" with my suggestion, a staff with a floating orb and something around the orb keeping it in place. (ignore the text, too lazy to edit images & upload)

As for the abilities it currently has, could always try assigning more proper colours for each spell when right clicking.

Current colour scheme vs new colour scheme suggestion:

-no glowing eyes (simply wielding the staff), instead it would be a dark orb, rigged with dark power to boot;

-green eyes (knockback aura), instead it would be a dark red orb (as a sign of power being drawn from the staff);

-shiny green eyes (lesser circle of death), instead it would be a red orb (even more power being drawn from the orb);

-red eyes (lesser circle of death), instead it would be an orange orb(...);

-shiny red eyes ([greater?] circle of death), instead it would be dark yellow(...);

-gold eyes ([greater?] circle of death), instead it would be bright yellow (colour neerly faded);

-shiny gold eyes (summon wraith), instead it would be a white orb (dark power depleted, as in reached the peak of it's capabilities, goes back to dark orb once wraith is summoned).

This is a more logical approach towards the dark staff, rather than simply making it an alien tool, why not make it simple and improved in such ways? Certainly the simplicity (look-wise) behind of a floating orb + stick + things that keep orb in place would look alot more attractive than the current thing we have, which looks like an alienized human skull with a mohawk of green crystals (dafuq?), makes me think some medieval punk died to aliens and was turned into the thing we so call "dark staff". :roll:

14. Thothie

psycho-oligist
    Well, if ya'll can come up with a better concept that's fine, but... Really, if you're replacing an existing model, one would think said model would be the concept art.

Crystal staff with crystal head, with series of horns - one going straight out the top where the beam starts. I'd give ya picture, but you already have one. ;)

I suppose, if you wanna instead keep the snake theme of the affliction staff, ya could do this:
    StaffOfAsha.png
    But good luck keeping the poly count down on that sorta beast... Really, concept ya have at hand is easy enough, just a matter of putting your own spin on it.

If it's just textures for a new crystal demon head ya need...

demon_head1.png
    demon_head2.png
    demon_head3.png
    demon_head4.png
    demon_head5.png <- ...or full on Skeletor

As for Zeus's suggestion, that type of orb staff tends not to render well in Half-Life (we actually have one or two, though I'd be loathed to replace the current model with em.) And Truewarrior would have no control over the sprite effect - it's entirely script side. Does involve two attachments, which he's gonna have to figure how to place on any replacement model though.

I don't much care if the Simpsons did it.

15. D.Drew

D.Drew New Member

It does create a wraith, so it does have at least one function that fits the necromancy theme. Mana sapping/turning lifeforce into mana is also a thing commonly associated with liches, which are undead necromancers (although, this really depends on what game/universe you're talking about)

The crystals make it look nice. I think it would look better if they were red (red laser), unless you decide to change the laser's color. It might look better blue, who knows!!!

Offtopic, but the dark staff's laser isn't on point with the hitbox, it's slightly off center. Bugs the shit out of me.

16. zeus9860

Troll
    I know it creates a wraith, that alone doesn't label it as a necromancy staff. I picture necromancy as dark summoning spells, offensive/defensive spells on the other hand, on my book are called dark spells. Necromancy being related with having contact with the dead/spirits or simply by summoning them to serve you. So, in terms of appearence, a skull shaped staff suits better for necromancy, a dark staff could use something else, specially since this one shoots beams. An orb is what came to my mind, there are probably other ways...

The red laser was one of the issues i thought of while writting the suggestion, i was initially going to suggest a red/green orb, but logically, it makes more sense for it to be dark and deplete. Of course, this is just a suggestion. There are many other things in this game's content that make little to no sense (like dwarves becoming large in tundra, or bears shooting beams of ice). Eh... Yeah.

17. Lucifer Majiskus

Well, seeing as necromancy/summoning doesn't have its own class it makes sense to lump it under "Dark" magic.

18. Thothie

psycho-oligist
    It's winter fresh polar bear breath, damnit! (Dun blame me for mega-dwarf though, not my doing... Seems to have become a thing now though.)

Also, it shouldn't be a beam - should be a cloud - are we getting a beam out of those somehow? ('sides, coulda been worse, coulda been winter fresh squirrel farts.)

In any case, it's a staff that rips out your soul so that the mage can rain more fiery death upon you, summons evil ghosts that do more of the same, and makes circles of death with giant runed skulls on them to boot, so... It's pretty damned evil, as weapons go. ;)

19. Truewarrior

Truewarrior Member

omg my attempts to make the staff are terrible rofl. I'm not good at making heads/snakes -.-

20. Thothie

psycho-oligist
    There's a fairly good snake model in the monsters folder you could cannibalize, I suppose. Or, you know, give up the snake thing and go back to the demon head of the original concept.

21. zeus9860

Troll
    Or make an orb. ;)

22. Everquest

Everquest New Member

I assume you can not make the staff animated or at least make it seem like a tortured soul or two was actually used to create such a powerful weapon and thus they look like they are either trying to claw their way out if hell or to grab you and drag you down to the same sad fate...

And I have been seeing some of these zombie babies at Halloween shops and they look absolutely freakish and horror inducing. Could something like that be implimented into the staff or is that taking it a step to far? Even "supposed" black magic witches would use innocent babes in their rituals.