• Do not care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I'd rather not rule someone just because they have one. If I'm farming a map I usually get my items first, then I will continue farming for fun and to get items for my friends and RiP members. If something rare drops and its me and a bunch of 25s I would rather get it to give to a RiP member then watch it got to somebody who a) Cant use it b) Didn't earn it c) Is annoying d) all of the above, and then some.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, plus it can often be something expendable. Like demon blood, vampire blood, regen pots, etc. etc.

chimeraddd

New Adventurer
Reaction score
even tho i'm no supporter or w/e but i agree that weapon level restrictions isnt really needed

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
wow wow wee wow!

I used a rusty axe... gained a level, was full on pelts, went to go buy a small axe... I COULDN'T USE IT! then I was short 1 gold to buy a new rusty axe.

the difference between a rusty axe and small axe... du rust! its the same weapon! why can't I use a weapon unless its covered in rust!

F-UCK TARDED!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I think the phrase I used was "counter-intuitive" but "F-UCK TARDED" captures it well too. ;)

Hmm... Dunno how you pulled that without specializing in Axe or something though. Maybe I didn't stay in Edana long enough when I made my last baby thoth, but I had well over level 6 axe from my rusty (I think 9 actually) before I even got around to getting back to Edana.

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
well i killed enough rats to become full on pelts, sold em, went to the merchant square, bought an axe that i couldn't use, cursed on the servers global chat, then quit =D

:D

sorry about my language... been a long day

Cuith

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Maybe its just me, but I can use weapons that are restricted to me. It gives me an annoying message every 5 seconds or so, but I can use it, it does damage, and I do get XP from it.

Is it supposed to work like that? I just found out a couple of days ago when I bought a BattleAxe and needed 1 more skill level to use it. Used it anyways, and when the skill leveled the annoying message stopped.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Umm.. The only thing I can think of is if the messages to you are based off of your skill average, but the actual swinging is off of proficiency. Then if you had some funky stats, like 18 prof, 12 Str, 12 Bal, it would give you the warning but let you swing.

No clue though, just kinda.. Talkin' outta my arse.

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
The Man In Black said:
No clue though, just kinda.. Talkin' outta my arse.

Isn't that your favorite hobby? :p Though what you say makes sense.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Not my FAVORITE hobby, but it's up there ;-) Plus, if it turns out to be right then people are all like "OMG HE WAS JUS TAKIN OUTTA BS N HE FIGURED IT OOT!" and I'll be all like "Yes, I'm just that awesome... Did you just say 'oot'?"

Cuith

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Actually, I think the warning said something along the lines of not having the required proficiency level to use the weapon. They're not far off. All of them are within 1 level of each other, and they usually level one right after the other. With the example of the axe, my proficiency was 11, but I needed 12 to be able to use it. I was still able to use it, though, and gain XP from using it. The only thing was that I got an annoying message from using it. I wasn't sure if you were supposed to be able to gain XP from them, or even use them at all. Just wanted to post it up in case something was wrong.

I'll try it later with a dagger or something. That skill level is only still around 1 or 2, so I'll buy a high level dagger and see if I can use it and gain XP from using it.

I would think that if they had level requirements, you wouldn't be able to use the weapon until you had the required proficiency. If I could use the battleaxe at level 11 proficiency in axes, that would mean I could probably also use it at level 1 proficiency in axes, right?

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Were you on your server or someone else's? Was the server updated? This is all very strange :?

Cuith

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I can't remember if I was in my own server, or on someone else's.. I do know I was on FN, though, so it had to be a current server.

I saw before the update that it was supposed to get weapon restrictions implemented into it, and I had actually bought a Battleaxe a couple of days after the AUG update and got the annoying message. I didn't think anything of it, and I payed to store it at the guy in Edana. After I got the Battleaxe off of an orc in the caves off of Thornlands I equipped it and got the annoying message again. I decided then to try it out and see if I could actually use it, and I was able to. I killed a few Orcs with it, and my proficiency leveled to 12 and the message went away. I figured I'd come here to post about it, because I don't think its working right for me. Wasn't sure if it was just me for some reason, or if it was not working correctly for everyone.

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Ok, since I am currently an adventurer as a main I have something to say about level restrictions. They ARE NOT NEEDED, or can at least be more lenient/logical.

Here is one example:
I can only use weapons if they have rust on them.

I have the money to buy a real short sword, but the fact that it isn't rusty and dull defines me not having enough skill to wield it.

I SUGGEST:

level restrictions should be based on the shape of the weapon, instead of rarity.

example:

sword levels 1-5 can use any shortsword variant.

5-10 can use the basic one sided blade weapons (scim, folded steel)

10-15 can use twohanded swords and

15-20 can use Heavy onehand Blades (skullblade, GiB)

20-30 can use elven blades and rune blades. As these are most odd shaped weapons.

And ofcourse as currently you need 30 to use the Mighty dark sword.

by "can use" I mean under the current proficiency system can use the weapon at a decent level.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
SEP2007a_Changelog said:
• Weapons you don't make the level requirement can still be swung, but damage/tohit% is reduced
When was the last time you tried to use a weapon without rust on it?

So, you want me to dramatically increase the level restrictions? I thought you hated these...

sword levels 1-5 can use any shortsword variant.
1-6 could always use any shortsword variant, sfaik, save the advanced elven blades.

5-10 can use the basic one sided blade weapons (scim, folded steel)
So, increase the level requirements for Folded Steel Blade (6) and Scimitar (6) to 10?

10-15 can use twohanded swords and
…So increase the level requirement of Long Sword and Bastard Sword from 9 to 10-15?

15-20 can use Heavy onehand Blades (skullblade, GiB)
Jeeze, even the perfect SB requires only level 10 now… Raise that too? Gib is only level 15, and has been since two months prior to Evaan’s weapon restriction (plus you more or less have to be level 30 to get one legitly) so I suppose you’d want it to be a level 20 sword?

20-30 can use elven blades and rune blades. As these are most odd shaped weapons.
Again, I’d have to raise level requirements across the board. Eleven Blades range from Level 6 to Level 15. Green Rune Blade is Level 15, with additional abilities at affliction levels 5 and 20.

And ofcourse as currently you need 30 to use the Mighty dark sword.
Darksword = highly overrated, if you include the time to damage ratio. Also you already have to be level 30+ to get the highest charge, and each charge additional level requires +5 more levels than the previous (starting at 10), so it limits itself nicely. The basic attack functions at any level.

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
The time to damage might not be spectacular, but getting in one big hit is much much more useful than swinging a bunch. When almost every monster stuns, slows, drunkifies and pushes you getting in one big hit makes a difference, since a lot the time one hit is all you can get in. So one hit, run away, repeat makes it one of the better weapons.

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
i didn't mean those levels to be more than an example, I just find it silly I can only use a weapon if it has rust on it...

difference between swinging a rusty shortsword, regular shortsword, and envenomed shortsword is nothing.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I agree it's counter intuitive for a rusted axe to be harder to swing than a clean one, although I took a stab at an explanation myself, if you read the weapon descript:

Code:
   name  a|Rusted Axe
   desc  The rusted core makes the axe lighter and easier to swing, but less damaging

Realism isn't the point though, it's rather a game mechanism to slow leveling / provide additional goals.

I also don't believe you when you say you can swing/use nothing but rusty weapons. Sorry, but I don't. The non-rusty requirement is 3. I mean - you can't even leave Edana safely until you get past three. You'd have to blow most of your crash just to buy one regular, even if you did every quest in Edana (sans those that'd get you killed at that level). With luck, you can kill seven boars and be level 4 with most of the rusty weapons, which takes all of five minutes, and is something you'd want to do before you left anyways.

For the record, I voted against weapon restrictions... But I see the motivation for them and the reasons for their popularity.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
The Man In Black said:
Suggestion for realism and balancing: Rather than have each weapon have it's own restriction level, I think you should group weapons that make sense and give them the same restriction: (Read on, it's different than what you think)

For example:
The skullblade set. Someone who's strong, but knows nothing of swordsmanship, would have a hard time using this properly (and since we can't really add a way to "misuse" weapons, it would be restricted). Now, instead of Dull-Perfect having different restrictions, they would all be the same level. This makes more sense, since a sharpened version isn't going to make much difference in how you wield the mostly-same sword. (I dunno if SBs are the same level already, but example)

In the same way, knowing how to work a large, heavy sword isn't going to teach you much about using light, fast blades, such as Elven blades. All elven blades, since they're the same (essentially), would have the same restriction level, but different from SBs. They would probably be higher, too, as they require a more advanced style of swordsmanship than swinging a large piece of metal.

Mario seems to be suggesting what I did quite awhile a go >_>

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
The reason I care so much about weapon restrictions is because I have to deal with them directly now.

I'm trying to level as fast as I can, but I guess this is the point of level restrictions. Oh, and big Lawl I voted yes for level restrictions, but later changed my mind.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Meh, only ran into a weapon restriction once with Baby Thoth, and that was last month, when they were a lot crueler. Only thing he has now that he lacks proficiency is a perfect hugger dagger that someone tossed him.

I noticed there's a bug where you can still use the secondary attack at full profficiency, if you have enough levels for the basic secondary attack. (eg. You can stun attack with a Great Maul at level 6, with the standard hit/dmg, even though the prof req. is 9)

I've fixed that... But it got me thinking... I *could* rig it so weapons required their base level requirement, plus the special attack requirement, for special attacks.

So while you could use the Calrian mace at 15, you'd need level 19 to use the stun attack. Or while you could use a shortword at 3, you'd need 5 to use the extra dmg attack.

If someone other than mario, and mario, screams "Aw hellz no!" I'll dump that idea, but it was a passing thought...

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
interesting idea, but how about letting people use weapons that are essentially the same weapon, BUT have the charge be something they need a level requirement for.

i.e. Let adventurers be able to buy and use weapons that don't have rust on them.

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Isn't there already a level requirement for charges?

I know you need certain levels to be able to use the charges, does it really need to be a "requirement" now?

I'm also extremely happy that we aren't forced to level up anymore, even if it means lower accuracy and to hit, its what I wanted.