leafthreadwtf?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Looking at the map you sent me, you've got too many large open areas with too many complicated arcs, and high-poly rounded objects, likely leading to leaf thread crashes. Stop rotating complicated objects, vis block the map some more by chopping it up into sections better, and try to build inside boxes more often, rather than depending on arcs to seal your map (even if that simply entails rounding corners from the inside).

wowsers.jpg

Yeeaaah... You simply cannot have open areas this size. This needs to be divided into at least eight sections to block the insane number of vis planes this would create. Even it if was just a box, it'd be pushing it, but you can draw a line from any part of this map to nearly any other, so there's like a billion vis planes here.

Amazingly enough though, it does compile for me (albiet, fullbright, as you've got no lights). Tis like an average of 2000+ wpoly from nearly anywhere - so yeah, first and foremost, break it up.

You have to minimize the area of a map a player can see at any one time, that means blocking any ray that could possibly bounce to the player - so such visual blockers have to go from floor to ceiling and turn several corners.

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I wrote this in response to a Windfarm map that was posted a few days ago... The post died in the forum rollback, but I think it is useful info to newer mappers, and relevant to the situation you've gotten yourself into here, so I'll post it again:

TBH, this is the start of a bad layout. When designing villages, you don't want to plop a bunch of buildings down onto a flat plane and fill in the spaces in between. Rather, what you want to do, is work out routes through the village, and figure how buildings are going to block the player's view, to prevent him from seeing too much of the map at once. Then build your town buildings along the sides of that route.

IOW: The buildings of the town should form a maze that presents limited visibility.

Like so: (Rickler's Sorc_Town:)
town_right1.jpg

(Sky Cut-away)
town_right2.jpg

dod_jocund:
town_right4.jpg

town_right3.jpg

vis_good.gif
As you can see, the buildings are all serving to block VIS, preventing too much of the map from rendering at once.

If, on the other hand, you have a house in the middle of a field, and the roof of that house does not reach the sky brush, the engine will attempt to render every side of that house at once. If you have a whole series of buildings like that, then yer map falls to lag hell in no time flat, as the engine, essentially, attempts to render the entire town at once, every frame.

So this is the sort of situation you want to avoid:
vis_bad.gif
As none of these structures are blocking any vis, so all of them, and every side of them, will be rendered at every frame.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I see, well since I compiled it last night and found out it looked better in hammer then it did in game :oldlol: I will need to scale it down and COMPLETELY redesign it...again. I dont think its gonna make it to the new patch :(