Kanta's texture fixing fixation station.

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
There are a lot of poorly aligned textures in MSC, some of which have bothered me so much that I've gone and fixed them myself. I will post pictures here along with downloads so that you can have them for yourself.

Affliction Lance.
This is the first thing I ever fixed, the affliction lances texture looked like it was lazily slapped over the holy lance and it still had a sliver of it showing like disgusting plumber crack. I also made the head of the spear look a lot more proper.
compareaff.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ak5vzekmddfet23/afflancefix.zip?dl=0 (This fixes both third and first person.)
Bear claws.
Before:
gI5Myvu.png
After:
y7aq6ml.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9zz6y65b59d2dry/bearclawsfix.zip?dl=0

Armor.
So this fix is most noticable in a few key spots, the hands and the Pheonix armor. With the original model, the skin tone of your characters hands change depending on which suit of armor you're wearing and as for the Pheonix armor... Well, just look at it. (New is on the left and old is on the right.)
GrcOfvT.png
Jb91XYc.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ta92gdozij8v3vc/armorfixerino.zip?dl=0

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Hrmm... Darnit, this ain't gonna work.

I'll have to package and send you the source files, if you wanna do this proper. Your armor compile, for instance, resulted in clipping to 488x498, and probably isn't working with the original 512x512 textures and sourced from the clipped compile anyways. If they were new textures, I could take the time to align them in with the originals, but as what you're doing is closing bad seams, that isn't gonna cut it. I shall get back to ye with some big downloads.

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Well, I was simply just shifting the textures and re-applying them with a model viewer. I didn't really make these with the intention of them being amazing or anything, just temporary fixes I made out of my own frustration with the way thing's looked.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, if you're feeling up to it, would be nice to have something we could work into the patch.

Though, since they are on separate submodels, rather than simply skins, lemme try with the Milkshape UV wrapper first. I suppose it might be better to do it from that end.

edit: Yeah, that works. Was a bit tricky on the bear claws, as it kinda looked like the seams were deliberate, but otherwise, yeah.

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
So you could make it 5 submodels with skins instead of one for each armor?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Eh, possibly, but I'd have to re-write the whole armor system if we wanted to do that, and there wouldn't be much point. Also, I know there's a special subsystem that propagates player model submodel states between clients, and it doesn't support skins. I dunno if it's the same for the armor they are wearing.

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
My internet died so I decide to do something I was putting off because of the effort needed.
skeleton.mdl is probably the worst of the skeletons in terms of messed up textures, so this fixes all the basic "fodder" types(the larger ones like bosses or ones wielding wands and bows aren't as bad so I left them alone for now).
oVQ5fAD.png
kVNGDuo.png
Left is new, right is old.
I'm pretty happy with it, its a little iffy on some of the textures in areas like around the cufflink/bracelets but it does what I intended and that is to close up seams.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k02hykob6fop3w6/skeletonfix.zip?dl=0

greatguys1

Epic Adventurer
MSC Developer
Warriors of the North
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I'd really like to see proper texture alignment for many things, please keep it up ;)