in need for a basic weapon modelling tutorial

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Anyone has a tutorial that explains the most basic ways of making a simple sword?

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I learnt same way I did with mapping, trial and error. Using cylinders is nice but for complex stuff, make a lot of vertexs and place them where u want, then select 3 and create a face (crtl + F), then take away detail by deleting some vertexs.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
And where can i get materials for the textures?

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
well, to my knowlege...not much, but i think i've got this part down...after you UV wrap it (iono how ya do that one :roll: ) you can use pictures...but it ends up lookin kid of bad, so you might just want to go to photoshop and make some basic colored things to skin it with, then improve upon them..like, make the sword grey, the handle brown, and whatever little detail things thier appropriate colors....then go back and ake them look scratched up or shiny or whatever you want to do with it :D

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
u dont have to "UV wrap it" i have a better method... make your own texture... about the shape of your model "you can do this in paint".... make a new material in milkshape.... import your texture to the material... and assign that material to your model... now hit "CTRL+T" that will bring up a window use the vertacies in that window to line up with the texture you drew when you close the window after doing this the texture should fit your model how ever u made the vertacies fit the texture. vwalla much easyier and i think better method.

madmanmick

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Can you edit the .mdl files in 3DS? i dont have milkshape and am too stingey to pay for it... all i want to do is UV unwrap some of the models so i can photoshop them. How do i then implement the skins i make to the model? does it just save as part of the .mdl file?

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
if u want to do that, just get Jeds half life model viewer.... then export they're uvs and then make ur texture then import them back in, thats not modeling and really has nothing to do with ur question... but its called retexturing and is really what your trying to do. have fun.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Hey Ceriux can i also replace the weapon just like the textures?

madmanmick

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Hey I used Jeds model viewer to export the UVmap of the Orc bow, and then i edited it in photoshop (keeping the size the same and made it a 24kb bitmap) then tried to import the texture back into Jed's, and it just gives me an error saying "Can't load the .BMP'
Anyone?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Make sure you save 8-bit (256 color "indexed") in Photoshop when exporting the BMP. Make sure it actually uses all 256 colors.

madmanmick

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thanks, i got it working. But skinning these models is nigh on impossible in terms of detail! I tried making a new skin for the Orc Bow, but the resolution quality is so bad once the actual skin is applied to the model its nigh on unrecognizable.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Can someone post step by step how to compile a model for master sword, because im having trouble with .qc and .smd files.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
yea, i ws with my fang tooth dagger, i dont know which bone to attach the weapon to so it moves with the arms