-----IMPORTANT FN PASSWORD CHANGE-----

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
In an effort to fight the people who have fun exploiting the game the server password will be changed come September 1st. The password when changed will be disclosed to any trusted member of the community and all server admins who run a proper server.

As community members it would be greatly appreciated if you could tell everyone you know of this news. The better the word gets spread the less of an impact it will be on the main servers that stay up.

I know this can cause complications for some people, but with security comes discomfort and right now we could really use more security.

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Are you referring to the fuznet.cfg password?

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
ms_central_password (or whatever) password is what he means.

Awesome.

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Awesome...Put meh on ze admin list :D

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
I will be giving out the password tonight, I plan on changing the password at midnight -8GMT.

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Wait a minute - if we dont get the FN password will we be able to still connect to FN? :?

Dark_Force9999

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I believe that's the ideal tehrilez. We might have less server available to play with for awhile.

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Nein.

If you don't have the password, it means you can't host servers on FN. You can still join them, though.

This means you can't exploit on FN by creating a server called 'Innocent Master Sword server... honest', lock it with 'lolirtehhaxor' and give yourself straight 30's in all your skills.

Yay.

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Tentadrilus said:
Nein.

If you don't have the password, it means you can't host servers on FN. You can still join them, though.

This means you can't exploit on FN by creating a server called 'Innocent Master Sword server... honest', lock it with 'lolirtehhaxor' and give yourself straight 30's in all your skills.

Yay.

I meant connect to FN as in host a server. :oldcry:

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
anyone who gets the password will be allowed to host a server.

given a choice I would actually just do IP blocking and just allow only trusted IPs but that would be way more annoying than this way.

In the end I might just start logging IP address and such this way I know who is connecting to FN at anytime. Keep a list of trusted people and look for anomalies outside of the stored IPs.

Dark_Force9999

New Adventurer
Reaction score
So, are you going to create a stickied thread named "Request Password for hosting FN Servers!" or something like that?

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
yes when the time comes I will make a new thread where people can request the password, assuming I trust you to take care of the password I will send you the password via a PM.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I think if you look at the FN logs you will find they do indeed log IP's - granted it just keeps appending the same bloody log forever - be nice if it broke them up so I didn't have to attempt to load 75MB text files when I want to search them. ;)

It might actually be possible to add that function to the archiver batch file. (rename log file by date every backup, or some such.)

I would *like* this to be temporary... But as I've had pointed out to me, some of the hacks we're commonly seeing here are classic and even VAC hasn't figured how to detect. There's no doubt cheat maps and plugins involved as well - and I can work up security for those, but the most devistating hack I may not be able to fix.

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
so is the password only going to be given to people known to host dedicated servers? I wanted to try my hand at making an FN character, but I cant because most servers only run high level maps. :?

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Fairly certian it's trustworthy people, regardless of whether they run Listen or Dedicated.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Jeeze, the last time we trusted the only MS:S coder on [FN] it didn't go so good for us. ;)

It's up to Blasto of course, but I dun think you've gone down to quite the same number of negative respect points as Pimpsta did yet - midas well give you the chance to do so. ;)

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Jeeze, the last time we trusted the only MS:S coder on [FN] it didn't go so good for us.

the only reason I want to be able to host my own server is so I can use the low level maps. Most servers run the high level maps, because most everyone is high level. So I can't train anywhere. :/

And I dont feel like arguing with 3+ level 40's (man they are everywhere now, I had 3 in my server today when I had FN up. ) to try and get them to let me sit in edana for a few hours.

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
Thothie said:
I think if you look at the FN logs you will find they do indeed log IP's - granted it just keeps appending the same bloody log forever - be nice if it broke them up so I didn't have to attempt to load 75MB text files when I want to search them. ;)

I wish that was the case, instead it over writes the old log file with a new one every time the servers get reset.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Tis odd - I dunno how we wind up with these 75MB log files that date back months then...

...if that is the case, you maybe able to rig serverdoc to copy/append the log file every time the server resets.

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Having no static IP is great, meaning you don't have to worry about the internet settings at all! :D

Yah, it means I can run some maps I can go on. I usually spend an hour or two hanging around in Daragoth, as I usually run into a pack of level 40s, who show me up and knick me XP...