The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
Idemark's Tower

Backstory:
After Lor Malgoriand's task of upsetting the establishment of Order had been completed, it was merely a matter of time before the Apostles were sent to strip him of his awesome power. In their attempt to do so, Lor Malgoriand's power inexplicably increased and the Apostle Idemark was slain. The remaining Loreldians sent Felewyn to destroy Lor Malgoriand, and thus The Great War was over.

What I invented:
My map takes place around Idemark's Tower, which by now is mostly a crumbling fortress surrounded by large fields. The tower itself, although neglected, still stands as proud as it did before Idemark's death. During the events of The Great War, Lor Malgoriand heard the Apostles were going to be sent to destroy him, and in a moment's notice ordered an attack on where he knew one Apostle resided. Of course when the soldiers arrived the Apostle(Idemark) was not to be found, as he'd been slain by Lor Malgoriand. The Orcat sent to attack had conquered the fortress surrounding his tower, but could not penetrate the tower itself.

And here we are in the present day! The land itself seems to contain magic, and as such even the ruins of the fortress have not decayed at a normal rate, and the tower is as impenetrable as ever.

This is the basis of my map, which needs some reworking to fit the story. What do you think? I tried to fit this into the current lore to the best of my abilities, comment if it contradicts anything/stuff sounds too far-fetched.

EDIT: Now a map thread link! http://www.msremake.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8096

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Nice to see a bit of lore that fits within the current scope for a change. Quite nice. :)

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
This is fantastic. It really helps to flesh out the story and make the lore more specific, therefore making it more potent. I am glad you turned what was once just a meaningless image into something that really matters to MSC.

I still say that you should include the idea that the moment Idemark was slain there was a massive earthquake, it's epicenter being at Idemarks tower. The quake was so massive it caused the earth to be rent asunder leaving that gaping hole that surrounds the tower. Entirely up to you though, as what you have done with this backstory so far is fantastic. Literally, the best story to come from a custom map since Lanethan came up with the lore, imo.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Ugh, I forgot about yours :X
Sorry!

Let me put it this way: some people, who shall not be named, come up with hilariously stupid backstories for their maps. Other people, like you (Crow), come up with pretty good backstories for their maps. This backstory though, is just better than anything I've ever seen.

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
^_^

I'm only that protective of mine not because it is really good, but because I came up with a half-decent backstory that involved the higher-ups actually needing your help. Imo It's hard to make a believable story in which all-powerful beings need the help of lowly mortals.

ahem... back on topic.

I agreed, thees eez gewd

jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
:oldlol: I had no idea it would be this well received!

Thanks for your comments.

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I like this concept so much i may include it lorewise in Mss :)

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Gurluas said:
I like this concept so much i may include it lorewise in Mss :)
It only seems reasonable that MSS and MSC would have the exact same lore.

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
15 years.

Unfortunately we will not have the exact same lore as me and Thothie deviates on some points
(Mostly Undamael and Calrian)

I would like to discuss it with him but he is never using his msn and Pms are just too slow for a sensible discussion.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Unfortunately we will not have the exact same lore as me and Thothie deviates on some points
(Mostly Undamael and Calrian)

I would like to discuss it with him but he is never using his msn and Pms are just too slow for a sensible discussion.
Discuss it here, on the forums. Make a thread and start a discussion with the community. Quote Lanethan and see where it goes from there. Now that MSS and MSC are using the same forums, this is a prime opportunity to bring the two communities together and make the lore as coherent and consistent as possible before MSS is released. Seriously, is there any reason not to do this?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Indeed, I think we had that particular conversation already.

...and while I do intend to butcher the lore quite a bit to bring everything in line (especially all the directly contradictory bits) and give us an over-reaching theme, that particular Undamael/Calrian point, is one area where I'm much closer to the original lore than Little-G, oddly enough, whose changes would force me to contradict texts and characters already in the game itself, some of which have been there since 2003.

I'm much more concerned with bringing theme and consistency to the lore, to flesh out social structures, the moral and racial conflicts, and making them all a central part of the game, than I am of adding new superfluous elements to the lore that will only further muddle things.

Bad enough I already gave Bludgeons a mention in the mythology when I wrote up the in-game books of lore. >< (Which will be in game just as soon as I figure how to load them without adding hundreds of MB to the betapack.)