Hexen, Heretic, etc

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Alright, time for a discussion as serious as Pokemon....

Who here has played either Heretic or Hexen?

I have Heretic and the first Hexen and might I say that I am absolutely in love with it! Even though this game looks like it dates back to ye Doom of olde, I still find it quite entertaining.

jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
That's because it's a real FPS, not a modern 'blockbuster' console port.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Gods... That takes me back. Real gaming... Huge hordes of monsters, fast action, unlimited weapon arrays, no hats.

Heretic runs on the same engine as Doom, so yeah, they look and feel a lot alike. I miss the days of being chased by my ex down hallways while dodging shotguns and phoenix wands via serial link in those games... Ended many an argument and kept us together a lot longer than we otherwise would have, no doubt. Granted, makeup sex probably would have been almost as good. >_>

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Gods... That takes me back. Real gaming... Huge hordes of monsters, fast action, unlimited weapon arrays, no hats.

Heretic runs on the same engine as Doom, so yeah, they look and feel a lot alike. I miss the days of being chased by my ex down hallways while dodging shotguns and phoenix wands via serial link in those games... Ended many an argument and kept us together a lot longer than we otherwise would have, no doubt. Granted, makeup sex probably would have been almost as good. >_>

Have you played every Hexen game?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Eh... I'm not sure... Heretic... Heretic II... Hexen... Hexen II... Somewhere in there, there was a third-person off-shoot game with the same "lore", but I can't remember which one that was, and it wasn't nearly as good (Maybe it was Heretic II, which actually game after Hexen, if I'm remembering correctly...). I think Hexen II was the first one with hardware acceleration. I dun think we played that one much, though, as it was a bit rough on her system. Don't remember if I bothered finishing the SP on it, but it wasn't as memorable as the first Heretic and Hexen I.

You'll notice some Heretic and Hexen textures scattered here and there in MSC. Even a few depicting signature Hexen/Heretic bosses. (Actually, there are a few in base Half-Life as well.)

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
I think I played a demo of one of the four Heretic/HeXen games once, but it was so incredibly long ago that I can't even remember which one it was.

I do definitely remember playing this though. Over and over again.

Bordoga

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Yeah, how long has it been, since I played Hexen the last time...
A long time I guess..

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
J-M v2.5.5 said:
I do definitely remember playing this though. Over and over again.
Hell yeah... And all six episodes of Commander Keen - and Jill of the Jungle! Man those games were evil... They were the sort you just kept playing because, "Damnit! I won't let this game beat me!"

...and yeah, Hexen and Heretic were both f*cking never ending... So was Doom2. They were easy to map for, I guess - 30 levels of pain - then Id software goes, "Oooh, 30 level expansion pack!" ><

Although if you really want never-ending pain - Magic Carpet. Effing 1000 levels. Game was damned awesome too, and the multiplayer was insane... And it's one I'm surprised no one has remade for modern engines, as it would really benefit from them.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Hahaha I remember Jill of the Jungle (the very first one) but I was so young back then that I sucked at it. I did manage to figure out that you had to get these jump powerups though, and that getting that boomerang weapon was a good idea.

*must resist temptation to download DOSBox and Jill of the Jungle*

Commander Keen was at its best at episodes 4 and 5 imo.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Although if you really want never-ending pain - Magic Carpet. Effing 1000 levels. Game was damned awesome too, and the multiplayer was insane... And it's one I'm surprised no one has remade for modern engines, as it would really benefit from them.

That game DOES look awesome. How many hours of gameplay? With over a 1000 levels I would presume there would be a lot.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
You will never, ever, finish it. I've never met anyone who has cleared the first Magic Carpet game.

I know someone who's had it in a DOSBox for years, plays it once a day - advancing a level at least once a day, and has yet to finish it.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I just got Quietus.......

FnCK YEAH!

jon50559

Adventurer
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
Ever play I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream? It was quite good, and a bit disturbing.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
jon50559 said:
Ever play I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream? It was quite good, and a bit disturbing.

I never heard of it, but with a quick Google search, no I have not.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Meh, don't matter. The Death Kings of the Dark Citadel are immortal, as is Hexen.

hexen2.jpg

"Rise from your grave!" - Altered Beast

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Meh, don't matter. The Death Kings of the Dark Citadel are immortal, as is Hexen.

hexen2.jpg

"Rise from your grave!" - Altered Beast

Looks like a new model for Drydeath. Aren't Hexen II models in .mdl format?

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Bought the pack, still haven't played any of the games in it. Got way too many games to try out on steam, like in the 100's...