Friend needs a rollback

Borya

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
A glacial palace in the elder forest of the north.
The 5hp bug has struck again!

It happened this morning, 5am-ish Central, I think
Steam ID is: STEAM_0:0:29225411
Character is should be in slot 1

We had started doing Loda, we got to Loda 3 and he got 5hp'd. I don't believe there was anyone else affected, but don't quote me on that. The only other guy with us looked fine, and I seem fine (unless you think you could rollback my car to before the coolant lines started to leak).

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
freddie-mercury.jpg
Yet another one...

Done.

Odd that it only got him, but it does seem to be what happened. Maybe Valve's "improving" the bug, IDK.

Wish I had some reliable way to test my fix for this... :\

Borya

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I'm gonna guess it would require some oddly specific timing for you to manage to test reliably. I wonder how long the window is for it happening?

I might be rerolling my slot1 at some point, so I could always try to get it to happen on purpose for that char around the time I get around to doing that, if it'll help.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Meh, I'd have to attach an alpha build HLDS with developer commands to FN (which I am lothed to do), and then grab someone, and... Start changing maps over and over, I guess. :\

The "fix" only prevents the character from saving when MaxHP<15 and giving you a message that "something is horribly wrong - plz2BreconnectingNao" (or words to said effect) - not sure what the effect of reconnecting afterwards would be though.

There's some other issues I need to test that I will eventually need to hook an HLDS to FN for though.

Borya

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Welp, the 5hp bug hit again. This time it was both my friend and I. I thought I had waited long enough after seeing people join the server, but it seems not.

It happened at about 1:13pm Eastern
My info:
Steam ID is: STEAM_0:0:4030452
Character is in slot 3

_____

His info:
Steam ID is: STEAM_0:0:29225411
Character is should be in slot 2

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Done.

All I can advise meantime, is try to disconnect before map changes, and give the server some time to turn over completely.

I've had others edit their recon.cfg to increase the reconnect delay, but it doesn't seem to help.

Borya

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Thanks for the rollbacks~! :D

Thothie said:
All I can advise meantime, is try to disconnect before map changes, and give the server some time to turn over completely.

I've had others edit their recon.cfg to increase the reconnect delay, but it doesn't seem to help.

Yeah, I've been doing the disconnect thing, 'cause I've been having to restart the client fairly often due to weird freezes and slowdowns after going from one map to another. I'll just have to try to be a bit more careful about joining around the time when other folks are loading in characters.

With this having happened the way it did, I'm starting to wonder if it's less to do with when you connect and more to do with trying to load the character(s) at the wrong time (around when other folks are loading theirs, if any communication with FN is happening at that time). Perhaps something dumb could be going down while the client is either receiving or loading the character up?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, getting a Memory Deallocation Error during a map transition has been standard fair since, as far back as pre-Steam MS. Which is why we have the disconnect sequence to begin with.

This whole "character wipes as a result" thing, however, is entirely new, and it cropped up well after the last patch - about the same time Steam started forcing us to use the Steam Pipe variant of the HLDS.

The Steam Pipe HLDS introduced a lot of new challenges, and there's still a lot "off" with it. There's something very odd about how it chooses to shut down (or chooses not to, as the case may sometimes be). I suspect more extreme hacking measures maybe called for.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Ya know...

My current patch wont play well with the current client, but I'm thinking of rolling back to the SEP2013 code/script archives, patching this one thing, and applying it to one of the RKS server sets, just to see what it does.

So what's your favorite RKS server?

Sticky bit is, while I'm fairly certain this patch will stop the corrupted character from saving, I'm *not* sure what'll happen if/when the client reconnects - as I'm not sure why the server is getting this bunk character to begin with. I'm worried that the server may just keep sending the client the bunk character over and over again, being the equivalent of a character wipe, at least until you migrate to a new server.