FPS Drops everywhere

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
So, before the patch (and for about a week after) my FPS would be totally fine, and run at 100 constantly... As of this past week, the fps can't hold its own and will drop to 20-50 constantly, even when staring at a wall. I don't think any softwarechanges have been made, the only possible thing I can think of is my graphics card updated. :oldcry:

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
ceriux said:
so roll back your drivers and see if anything changes?
Can I have actually helpful ideas that I haven't tried? Maybe someone knows some special console command or launch option to help, or maybe I just need to reinstall the game (which is where I'm at now, considering nothing else has been changed)

Edit: Reinstalling didn't help. Must be driver related. sigh
Edit Edit: Several older driver versions didn't work, issue persists. Could be CPU related..

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
It's not like we're psychic and can know what ya've already tried. :p

I've not updated my drivers on the home system in a bit, but I'll see if anything crops up when I get back (says it's currently on 359.00). Nvidia cards tend to have game-specific profiles, if they've changed the one for Half-Life, something maybe amiss. You'd have to comb through your game profiles, see if you can find half-life (hl.exe) or make a new profile for it, then fiddle with the settings, beginning with everything matching your global settings. Sadly there are also some hidden settings, you'd need NVidia Inspector to get at those, and it can cause problems, if you fiddle with it too much.

Also check your task manager, sort the processes by CPU usage, see if hl.exe is causing some other process to flip out. It's single threaded, so you can also try moving hl.exe to another core, by disabling its access to core #0 (properties->affinity).

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
I've messed with nvidia inspector and may have accidentally overclocked my graphics cards... and I have no clue what they should and shouldn't be set at :?

EDIT: Fixed, I think... After downgrading, then upgrading my drivers (a third time) it seems to have worked. Maybe the drivers didn't install properly the first two times. :roll:

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
I still get drops when it rains in maps.. This didn't happen before.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
are you on 8/10? i had performance drops after i upgraded.

if bloom is enabled disable it.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
ceriux said:
are you on 8/10? i had performance drops after i upgraded.

if bloom is enabled disable it.
I'm on 10, yeah... and no bloom :?