Flesheater's Talisman/Flesheater's Curse

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Flesheater's Talisman:
This talisman is embodied with the power of a Flesheater, but is said to be cursed.
1st Charge: Kick
Right Click: Activate the talisman, gaining Flesheater's Curse

Flesheater's Curse:
A curse is beset upon anyone who uses the Flesheater's Talisman.
20 MA
1st charge: Kick
2nd charge: A swipe that gouges the target. Costs 50 mana, deals 2x fist damage and steals 3/4 damage as hp (rough idea, probably needs balancing)
3rd Charge: With an affliction level of 25 or more, casts Poison Cloud(likely the modified version posted here).
Right Click: Send Flesheater's Curse back into the talisman.

When Flesheater's Curse is activated, your hands turn a translucent, deathly green color. Flesheater's bones grow from your forearms, sucking the life from you over time. Every punch steals health, though the claws are more suited to draining the target's flesh.

-----------------------------------------

This is what I have done so far; really it's just sticking the flesheater hands on leather gauntlets and messing with the fingers a bit. Not sure how much work it'd be to get the gouge animation to work.

fegaunts.png

EDIT: Added weapon concept.

littleaznboi

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Re: [WIP]Flesheater Gauntlets

Doesn't look that bad. Keep posting pics please! :)

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

See if you can like make it a gauntlet that morphs your hand into a fleshnomer hand...Cause that'd be sick.

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

Iike flesheater hand instead of fists? Could work. Was more thinking wrapping around the knuckles and down the tops of the fingers. Or modeling something that looks more like bone and less like an elongated triangle >_>

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

Either/or...Make it happen :D

Dejiko

New Adventurer
Reaction score

looks nice :) glad to see another MA weapon in the works.

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

UPDATE:
fegaunts2.png
I scrapped the preformed Flesheater hands, and started modeling my own thing.

As you can see, I'm having problems with textures (the flat green is supposed to be flesheater bone texture), but I'm sure I'll be able to fix it. This is all I'm doing today; I need a break @_@

EDIT: I'm almost considering removing the gauntlet from the equation. C&C?

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

Here's an idea...Ditch the glove, and shred up the pad...Make it morph from an old leather, to a green aura, to the OMGHAND. I'll texture for ya if you get it done by/on Monday. :D

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

Bad news: Comcast fucked something up on the telephone pole outside my house, and now I have no internet. I should still be able to upload pics by transferring them to my iPhone, but any finished product won't be online until late Tuesday at the earliest(cause they can come out and fuck something up but they can't come back to fix it until 4 days later)

this also puts me out of playing the game :(

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

goodnews.jpg

Good news, everyone!

I tethered my computer to my iPhone and can now use 3G service on my computer.Update coming soon.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I do only have a 6 GB cap on bandwidth, so I don't think I'll be playing online >_>

littleaznboi

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score

1.) Lol at Professor Farnsworth, love the new Futurama movies.
2.) Yay at the update coming soon, looking forward to the Gauntlets :D

3.)
CrazyMonkeyDude said:
I don't think I'll be playing online >_>

:( No roundhouse kicks??

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

Not even TO THE FACE.

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

UPDATE COMPLETE
fegaunts3.png

Model Download

As per Sabre's suggestion, I've removed the gauntlets entirely. Not sure what I'm going to call it now. I think it looks pretty BA in weapon origin

Quarter to 3? I think I'm done for the night. Work in 6 hours...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Thank you for actually providing a model! ^_^ (I ain't seen that, outside the core dev team, in ages.)

I managed to work this into the existing MA/spellcating viewmodel set, but I think, from your description, you'd rather have this under the claw anim set - but that's another bone set entirely.

It'd also be nice if you could come up with another animation where the claws grow in or such, but I realize that'd require you to animate, and that maybe asking a bit much - being the most complicated bit of the art and all. ^_^

This seems more like the type of thing you'd get out of a spell or from drinking a potion, rather than gauntlets however.

Here's the current consolidated MA/spellcasting and claw sets, in case you want to play with them (note your Flesheater gaunts are already integrated under cmd_ref, in the last submodel):
http://www.thothie.com/msc_dev3/ma_view ... 009_06.rar

Claw animations (ie. those used by Demon Claws) are in the "Claws" subfolder in that archive.

PS. In the future, for model sources, please provide the SMD/BMP/QC. If I have to decompile the model, it risks texture skewing (not likely in this case, but it critically affects some models.)

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

New animations like the one you mentiones would probably requiere a new boneset, thus making it a separate model, doesnt that eat edicts?

However I think its pretty possible to do with the current MA boneset (tough at the cost of less to no movement of the human fingers)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Can always tack new anims onto the MA model... I *can* - if the boneset changes, keep the new anim and bones inside the same model via my l337 model hacking skillz, however, they'd need to appear under a new submodel - which would likely be the case anyways. I think they need to share the same base origin as the other bonesets in the model, however (don't quote me on that last one, may not be the case, or maybe work-around'able).

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

Finalizing some of my ideas for this weapon, with Sabre's help, I've come up with a better description for this weapon.

Flesheater's Insignia:
An insignia that pulsates with Slithar's magicks. A curse befalls any who use it.

It's come a long way from gauntlets, but my idea is this: This weapon starts out as an insignia in the form of a Flesheater's Face. You can punch and kick while using it, but when you right click, it activate's Slithar's Curse. As long as Slithar's Curse is active, your hands decay, flesh eater's bones growing from them and sucking the life from you. However, each punch steals life, and the claws more so.

It'd mean switching Poison Cloud to a 4th charge, but I think the idea is pretty neat. I think I could affix the insignia to the powerstrike animation. It also requires a name change >_>

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Well, then you'd have to work up a viewmodel for the insignia too. Might be simpler to make it a potion that grants the weapon - dunno what to call it though, "Slithar's Necro-Juice" is just far too suggestive. ;)

Poison Cloud is one of the most difficult spells to obtain in the game though, as well as one of the most devastating and exploitable. I might go for a slightly weaker poison cloud of slightly smaller radius, that centers on and follows the player instead - maybe coupled with poison immunity for the duration of the effect and the aformentioned vampyric attacks.

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

Mini-Update:
fegaunts5.png
As you can see, I've made the hands semi-transparent to show off the bone structure I'm creating inside of it. Makes it look more evil magic curse-like, ja? I am having trouble getting the color and semi-transparency to compile with the model, so I just checked off the additive box for the hands.bmp to demonstrate. Also, as you can see, I'm still trying to rig the fingerbones to the joints correctly so they don't fly everywhere when you punch >_>

@Thoth, I can model up an insignia, was really just thinking of a talisman with a flesheater face on it. Also, the whole weapon's open for balancing; I know something's never what you think it would be at first because of it. That idea actually sounds pretty cool, too. What's GRBoA's PC compared to the actual spell?

lol@"slithar's necro-juice"

EDIT: Comcast came and fixed the problem. Apparently, the retard who came out to shut off someone else's internet in the building shut mine off instead. -_- So now I'm back to a (somewhat) reliable internet source. I did get the 4 days taken off the bill, too. Didn't even have to fight with them this time!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Re: [WIP]Flesheater's Insignia/Slithar's Curse

Well, if you'll do the extra modeling that's fine I guess. It'd kinda be nice if it was something more generic though - as Bloodrose doesn't really need another unique item. You also have to rig up player models for these things, mind ye.

CMD said:
What's GRBoA's PC compared to the actual spell?
It's about half-strength vs. the full spell, and casts a lot slower. The blade is, however, nearly as difficult to obtain as the spell itself.

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

Thothie said:
Well, if you'll do the extra modeling that's fine I guess. It'd kinda be nice if it was something more generic though - as Bloodrose doesn't really need another unique item.

I see where you're coming from here. I could change it to Flesheater's Curse; I really just want to keep the Flesheater idea.

Thothie said:
You also have to rig up player models for these things, mind ye.

Aye, and the custom-made bode structure is being a pain in the ass.

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

BUMP FOR GRATE JUSTICE

No, it's not really another big update,but I did work on the talisman:
fetalisman.png

As you can see, I don't have texture for the border around the talisman. Anyone, feel free to make one. I requested Age to make it so it says "flesheater" around it in runes, but I think I scared him >_>
Download

Thothie said:
You also have to rig up player models for these things, mind ye.

From what I remember with the nmaul, it was pretty much copy pasta to set this up. Hopefully this will prove the same, though I'll refit the claws and bones if I need to.

I think I need to dumb down the fingerbones on the main model a bit, I'm getting some errors in compiling, and I think it has to do with the 3.3k tris >_>

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Re: [WIP]Flesheater's Talisman/Flesheater's Curse

Not that I know.

A model with that amount of polys should compile, in any case check the message window in MS3D to see what was the last message, thats usually points the cause. Also it could be that you have a texture which is not bmp 256 colors.