Fire orcs in mscave

Move the Torkie/Runeshield out of MScave

• Yeah, far too much farming going on there, plus it's a silly place for high end stuff.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nah, my parents were farmers - there's no money in it but it's good for the soul!

• Wait till MSC 1.1 to put them in their proper places (which, is probably gonna happen regardless of

• Total voters

Eldoff

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Anyone find these little buggers alittle too strong for the area?

14titan/143hp/dwarfaxe&scythe. I could farm that zone all day, but with these fire orcs appearing now...

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I think you just answered your own question. They are meant to stop people from farming.

Eldoff

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I'm not farming gold, better places to do that. I am there for exp. was a good place to level befor those monsters came. mscave was one of my 'non crashing maps' that was good for that. not anymore ;(

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
JM - So can a lot of us ;-)

Actually, mscave is probably the best place for gold. Quick trips + 3 mana pots per trip (which sell for 600+ if ya know how to sell) = Lots of money.

It also isn't a very good spot to train. The best monster to level on is the green spider, so the best spots to train are:
Thornlands, just camping the green spiders
Heras is UBAR good (Probably 16 spiders in one room as well as an insta spawn room with 8 lives)
Daragoth, ok, no green spiders, but all of the orcs give a large amount of exp (Just learn to run at low health and you're good) or figure out exploits like I did after the first or second time of being there >.<

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Sadly, now that I think of it, it is just about the only place you can kill low level Orcs at your leasure that doesn't lag to hell.

...actually there's still Hera's... Which is well built and stable. I'd go XP farming there.

Sadly, also, ever since I restored the treasure scripts in mscave to their intended state, it's become a bit of a treasure trove. All that crap in there needs protection. My only option to make it a low level XP farming area would be to nerf the treasure.

We'll be adding Bloodrose eventually - the lower bits of which should be on par with Daragoth, and it shouldn't be nearly as laggy. It will also connect to Thornlands. (I also intend to fix the lag in Daragoth in 1.1)

I've the source for MSCave as well... I may change it around a bit and move the treasure rooms back further in MSC 1.1, and keep the first 5 rooms or so low-level. We've a good deal more orcs to work with now anyways.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
i'm all for nerfing the rares in MScaves (tork, rune shield, helmets, etc)...they should all be rewards from boss fights...not farming...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Any seconds?

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
No, I don't second. I think you should find a way so that only *my* steam ID can get the rares.

Barring that reality, yeah I second. Rune shield should be a reward for Ice Djinn (slightly less rare than the ice blade) or Lord.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Seconded.

...any objections?

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I object. What about all the people who don't have them? It isn't fair that so many got them so easy and now newer players have to bust thier asses trying to get one, while the farmers get to keep the items.

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
The fire orcs get a lot easier to kill if you have an ice blade.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
What I'd do to it... Would be to move the Rune Shield to MS_Snow (which is more appropriately difficult for that reward)... I'm not entirely sure what to do with the Torkaloth blade (jeeze I'm giving spoilers now, aren't I?) - but there is another one, elsewhere, in an undervisted location.

The place would still have two top end items in it, in addition to tall the other stuff. But I think I could remove the fire shaman from the first room without being too unreasonable then. (There'd still be one on each treasure room.)

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie, if you don't know where to put a TORKALATH BLADE then that's pretty sad ;-)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, there *is* a good, currently third part map for it, but it doesn't have a custom chest atm. In MSC 1.1 it'd be a good idea though. I'm talkin about short-term fixes though.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Yeah, because that particular chest is the best spot for it.

I can't think of anywhere else for now. Perhaps it should go in MSQUEST OMGLAWL

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
NO

least not till someone remakes those maps with some skill -.-;;

a swampy area is actually a good theme for a map, if done correctly...could require some new textures and models (thornbushes and marshy grounds, dirty water, etc)...would actually require quite alot of new monster models (wyrms, and other such swamp-like monsters)...but overall, its a decent theme for a map...but ms_swamp kills it...kills it dead...like an owl...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Got a series of swamp critter models - but ain't wrote the scripts yet.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
ah, well i dont plan on needing those scripts for quite a while, lest people bother me for a swampy map....but other than that i wont be needing them for another ....2-4 maps at a minimum

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Orochi said:
I object. What about all the people who don't have them? It isn't fair that so many got them so easy and now newer players have to bust thier asses trying to get one, while the farmers get to keep the items.
I object as well.

I got my volcano, blizzard, lightning storm, poison, fire ball and fire wall spells from Keledros back in the day when he still dropped one of them (and always dropped one of them).

I think it's pretty lame that people who didn't have the spells yet have to search their asses off (*cough*keledrosprelude2volcanoscrolldjinnchestverylowspawnchance*cough*) to get spells that I got very easily.

So here's what I think: stop replacing rare items. It only pisses people off. If you want to make sure rare items are hard (and rare) to get, make new rare items.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I think the items will be getting a shuffle to more logical places come MSC 1.1 - but at the moment, all the more logical places either 1) Do not exist yet, or 2) Are third party maps.

Since there are two objections, I suppose I'll hold off doing anything about it until then.

Avoozl

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I second the motion as well. Mscave is just a big item farm, people (myself included) just run straight through it like its a buffet, ignoring the silly orcs and fire shamans and hitting the chests, then reloading the map. The most rare items in the game should have a more suitable method of acquisition than this.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
taking rares out of mscave

Pro:
+increased difficulty of game, longer play time, more people in the long run
+it makes mscave a map that wouldn't be classified as a cheatmap (if not for the source)

Con:
+Short term whining about taking the rares out of mscave

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
We're going to have to start a poll aren't we... ><