Diablo II themed MS:C

Myrlance

Adventurer
Heroes of Dawn
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
It may seem impossible or be completely wrong that I suggest this, but picture someone with great sprite editing and animation skills and a bunch of programmers to make a Diablo II look alike but with the MS:C universe of daragoth and maybe randomly generated zones and the already made zones from goldsrc ms:c

I also realised by playing Fallout 2 Online that they have hundreds of scripts that work perfectly with multiplayer roots and the player's actions, it seems like its endless and the system isnt fragile and has good stability.

Worth a shot, we would just need to port in the stat system!
Comment on how we should do this or it should just stop as it is.

Thanks, Kenshin/Malachite/2cwldys.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Any spin off project ya wanna do is fine with me. I'll throw some support your way if there's something I can do without taking too much time from the stuckage that is MSC.

I think what you're after was kinda done, or at least attempted, via Dungeon Creator, but I dunno how far they got.

Granted, MS:Minecraft has also been done:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RIoEcceOhQ

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Really cool idea, but I think your ideas and ambitions are a little too grandiose. No one has the time to make anything so obscure lol. If you want stuff like this you gotta work hard and learn the proper skills to make it happen yourself :mrgreen:

Myrlance

Adventurer
Heroes of Dawn
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
I've found something that maybe I can learn to use and maybe get a crew to work on with me.

http://www.fifengine.net/

FIFE is a free, open-source cross-platform game engine. It features hardware-accelerated 2D graphics, integrated GUI, audio support, lighting, map editor supporting top-down and isometric maps, pathfinding, virtual filesystem and more!

The core is written in C++ which means that it is highly portable. FIFE currently supports Windows, Linux and Mac.

Games utilizing FIFE are programmed through Python scripting layer on top of the base C++ API. Games can be also programmed using the C++ layer directly.

FIFE is open-sourced under the terms of the LGPL license so you can freely use it in non-commercial and commercial projects.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
If ya don't know C++, ya might wanna start with something simpler - maybe one of those dungeon creation kit games. I can't name a good one to link off hand though (not that I should discourage anyone from learning C++, given how desperate we are in need of more programmers - Keldorn still hasn't touched my package /cry.)

Myrlance

Adventurer
Heroes of Dawn
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Hey Thothie, when you find the name of the creation kit let me know!

Thanks.

Gorynych

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Keldorn still hasn't touched my package /cry.
Nice. ;)

On that note, don't start with C++, although it may seem like a good idea. Although you have permission to use all this open source, already supported kit - C++ really isn't user friendly as far as things go.

You're better off making your game in something a lot simpler first (hell, even RPG maker at this point). If you feel like picking up programming to create yer game, try using C#. You'll get to terms with it faster and it's still very useful (I've made a few games in C# and prefer it, even if C++ is 'better'.

That being said, if you're looking to use the Fallout 2 source code, you'd need to learn how to use Python.
It's a huge job you're looking at - have you made any games or done any development before?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yeah, RPG maker maybe the way to go. The artwork is kinda JRPG oriented, but I think you can import your own.

There's lots of little 2D game construction kits like that, but I've not worked with one, so I can't make a reliable recommendation. Some of the ones I Googled up looked kinda fishy, but that one's popular.

If you're going to learn coding for games, however, I'd skip straight to C++ and skip the middleman. Really, though, unless you're really young, it's one of those "lifetime to master" things, at least when it comes to using well enough to write games - which then flip every other thing you've learned on its head by having SDK's made entirely of custom calls to an engine.

One of these kits, however, may teach you basic programming logic, and that's where you really need to start.