dev_g

Mordred

New Adventurer
Reaction score
My Server Throws Multiple Errors on each mapchange.

-Deallocation Errors
-Pointer Errors.
Tomorrow ill make some screenies and post them here

Mordred

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Strange Thing.This morning i cant reproduce the errors :?:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
My players haven't been able to successfully transition 90% of the time since E, sad thing is, even changelevel fails to go through. I pasted one of the errors to lord K, but I cant seem to find it now.

The only way to get players to a transition, most of the time, is to changelevel before they reconnect.

I also can't connect to my own server anymore. Or rather I can, but I get 8fps (6800 Ultra OC) ... I tried tweaking with the CPU/affinities and thread priorities, but seems I can either lag the server to death or lag the HL.exe to death - seems to be no happy medium. This wasn't a problem last night (A-E). :\

Mordred

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I reproduced it.I havent got Webspace so i cant upload but if one of the developers gives me an email adress i mail pictures.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Ah here it is:

Code:
_CrtOsValidHeapPointer(pUserData) - dbgcheap.c line 1132

Pretty much constantly get that on every map change. And it crashes on more or less all map changes.

The only reason my players can transition at all is the crashed.cfg script usallly catches the attempted map change - and thus the server restarts on that map after crash. However, sometimes the server goes down before it can catch it.

It only happens with multiple players, and it can be avoided if a changelevel is executed before players connect. (otherwise changelevel crashes just as often as a legit transition)

I'm also getting drastic, system wide CPU lag whenever a player leaves or connects.

However, the memory leak seems almost gone... Although I'm still getting that other memory error:
Code:
Unable to Move Memory Block:
Expression: _BLOCK_TYPE_IS_VALID(pHead->nBlockUse) Line: 1138 File: dbgheap.c

Now that the leak is behaving THANK THE GODS I may be able to move the server to my laptop... Sadly that means hooking up the old POS router again... My GOD I hate routers... WHY CANT I FIND A ROUTER WITHOUT A HARDWARE FIREWALL!?!? *cries* :oldcry:

I've not patched since 4am this morning though - waiting for the old .dll clients to filter out (got AMX set to send them a link to the patch ever 30 seconds)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
PS... Although the server was up and responding for a REALLY long time this morning, I also got this:

Warning from Anaxis:
Well, it appears we're stuck on the map Calruin. The third riddlemaster didn't show so me and Krisho decided to hit the transition since doing a map change didn't work. The change didn't even crash the server, it just was at a complete standstill. Krisho reconnected and could move around while it still looked like it was hanging for me. The transition as you have probably already suspected didn't work either, still hung there. Krisho yet again reconnected and could move around while I was stuck trying to load the transition. Well, now we finally have an excuse for being on Calruin all the time.

Server was probably sitting there like this from 4am to noon, when I got back. Perfectly functional, just internally bjorked in a non-crashie sort of way.

Third riddle master is either an sc.dll change (there IS a remark about changeing him in the changelog) - or the fireallperish simply not going off after the bats (also very likely) - I'll look into that today... Just two minor fixes for the autorestarter first, and I can put the new one up.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Tripple post FTW:

I updated all the DLLs, except the client.dll, an hour ago and still gettin this on map changes (whole thing this time):
Code:
---------------------------
Memory Error
Unhandled Exception While Deallocating Memory
OK   
Microsoft Visual C++ Debug Library
Debug Assertion Failed!

Program: C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\thothie\dedicated server\hlds.exe
File: dbgheap.c
Line: 1132

Expression: _CrtIsValidHeapPointer(pUserData)

For information on how your program can cause an assertion
failure, see the Visual C++ documentation on asserts.

(Press Retry to debug the application)
Abort   Retry   Ignore   

My CPU usage is also a constant 50% with 6 players (It can't go any higher as the proc isn't HT - so that midas well be 100%) - getting major system lag.... So need to move this thing to the damn laptop... So hate that router.... Granted if it's taking 50% of this monster (P4 3.0ht 800FSB) - then it'll cream the laptop entirely.

Mordred

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I got exactly the same error as Thothie:

Code:
Memory Error
OK   
Debug Assertion Failed!

Abort   Retry   Ignore   

If i click the error-windows away the server continues but as long as they are there the server is stuck.
This only happens when attempting tho change map.

Iselore

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I don't know how but I think I don't get anymore errors during mapchanges! :p Running the server 24/7 is becoming a reality now. I think the maps themselves are causing the problem.

Scottc

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Why are they releasing debug versions anyway? Should have compiled a release version of MSC....

HumanSteak

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I noticed when I play alone, every maps works fine but as soon as somebody connects, I get these errors everytime. And when the guy leaves, its working fine again. This might seem stupid, but maybe this error is caused because ppl dont have ALL the same version?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well ya can't connect with different versions of the DLL. The server's ent tables are used, and if your map differed besides that, you wouldn't be able to connect... And the server side dlls don't have to match up on the client... Soo...

But yes, it does seem there has to be more than 1 person on for this error to happen consistently. Although it does happen OCCASIONALLY with 1 person.

I've not updated since last night though. Next time I update, I'll be doing the client.dll too... Not that it'll help this. I would have done it yesterday, but I got drug out of the house unexpectedly by an assailant.

Rayon

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I get the same problem, its very annoying having to restart the server and making people reconnect on every map change.

It seems the past .dll updates have been mini fixes; spell fixes, little things....
But we have a major bug here that should be #1 priority!
...not to be rude, but i dont find this game very fun by myself, and would like to continue adventuring with my friends...however, this bug is a bitch, and ruining nearly all the fun of MS for me and my friends.

And if a dev reads this, can you PLEASE fix the inventory bug, that allows too many items to be held....

If the server crashes with players inventory with too many items...then they just wasted alot of time if they didnt backup their characters....

I mean, at least that bug is partially preventable by making sure you have limited items...but uh, not everyone knows this...and its still a major bug.

Please fix these 2 bugs asap.

deadvoices

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I am sorry to dissapoint you, but first off in the new patch everyone will have to start over. The devs are not neglecting any problems, although they may have not fixed it yet, they do not plan to leave it in there so everyone can loose their char. Give them some time, they are not super-computers, people just like you and me.

Rayon

New Adventurer
Reaction score
lose our chars..

Is this characters on FN? what about clientside/personal Central servers?

edit:: nvm, read post on it...thats sickening

deadvoices

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I am not 100% sure, but I would think everything will be reset because there are several exploits making the game super-easy if you take advantage of them no matter what version you are playing (to date).

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Rayon said:
lose our chars..

Is this characters on FN? what about clientside/personal Central servers?

edit:: nvm, read post on it...thats sickening
Are you alright? This is only a game. Fiction. Whatever the meanie developers do to your beloved character will not harm you in real life (the great outdoors).

Rayon

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Well, I guess you are more hardcore on the pc than I am, seeing as to how u dont mind throwing tons of hours into games all day.

I dont have infinite free time for such a thing, so thinking that i just wasted the time i spent, yes...it does annoy me.

Grow up.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
If I can get 343 HP in less than eighteen days, I'm sure I can do it again. I'm sure you can get a new character just as good as your current one, too. However, you make me believe you only play to get the best weapons and highest skills in the game. That would make you more 'hardcore on the PC'.

I play MS: C because it's great fun. Being a newb surrounded by newbs is just as fun as being a pro surrounded by pro's.

Bottom line: It was friggin' easy to get my perfect Skullblade, perfect Hugger dagger, Blizzard, Volcano, Lightning Storm and 343 HP, so I'm sure I can do it again just as easy.

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Well... hopefully not :roll:
Unless you got em through means besides exploits :wink:

Rayon

New Adventurer
Reaction score
J.M.

thats my problem, 2 weeks from now I will not have free time for much of anything with work/school starting again.

the most free time i'll have for a long time is the next 2 weeks, which I guess i wont be spending on ms as it is pointless.
Even though 'playing' games all together is unproductive, playing a game where your character is going to get deleted (possibly again and again as new versions come) is even more meaningless and unproductive :-(

My fun is just playing the game, playing it over again will ruin the vibe :oldcry:

JabbahRulz

New Adventurer
Christian Warrior's of God
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Tripple post FTW:

I updated all the DLLs, except the client.dll, an hour ago and still gettin this on map changes (whole thing this time):
Code:
Memory Error
OK   
Debug Assertion Failed!

Abort   Retry   Ignore   

My CPU usage is also a constant 50% with 6 players (It can't go any higher as the proc isn't HT - so that midas well be 100%) - getting major system lag.... So need to move this thing to the damn laptop... So hate that router.... Granted if it's taking 50% of this monster (P4 3.0ht 800FSB) - then it'll cream the laptop entirely.

I get the same thing when someone is playing with me, when im by myself every transition works fine for me :)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Keep the character delete debate to the character reset debate thread, plzktnx - and try to have a little more respect for one another's opinions... mmmkay? ;)

As for THIS topic, yes, that bug seems quite strange. It seems to happen only with certain characters - I'm wondering if it's characters over a certain number of bytes that cause the issue.

example: Me and Cycho manage to make 10 transitions with no crashes. He leaves, Mario shows up - and we manage to crash the server making transitions 10 times in a row... Go fig.

The main thing is that, again, the Central Server read/write function hangs the whole damn server up while it does its thing- and that must be put an end to - should fix this sort of problem, among other things.

LukeW

New Adventurer
Reaction score
After turning off my pagefile so i can more closely watch for memory leaks, I've noticed a few things:

#1 - Dev A doesn't crash during map changes, but gets MASSIVE memory leaks, resulting in an inescapable crash or restart.

#2 - Dev G is clear of memory leaks, and pretty much any sort of CPU lag for me anyway. (Athlon 64 3200)

#3 - Dev G crashes on transitions almost 100% of the time when there is more than 1 player in the server, again my transitions can go through because the crashed.cfg gets updated, but I'm sure it isn't flawless.

So HLDS operators have 2 choices... Memory Leak, and imminent crash DURING levels, or Transition Crashes, and the possibility of players getting stranded....

=\