Crossbow

TPM_Montross

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Heres a crossbow i made to replace the current one from pvk, c&c welcome

btw texturing is temporary, it was done very quickly just to test my uvw mapping

crossbow.jpg

TPM_Montross

New Adventurer
Reaction score
ok, can fix that really easy by scaling teh verticies together

btw its curvy cuz my reference is lol

reference:

DX-913L.jpg

Rhodeder

New Adventurer
Christian Warrior's of God
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
hey i can do a high resolution texturing on that if u want me too. thats what im really good at.

TPM_Montross

New Adventurer
Reaction score
thanx, and rhodder feel free to take a crack at it

UVW Map:

crossbowuvwnew.jpg

Texture:

crossbowtext.jpg

Rhodeder

New Adventurer
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
*cracks knuckles together* its gonna be a while i just got a ton of work to do from one of my customers, but ill try to get it done by the end of this week.

Nickster

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Ok time for some crit, whats the polycount on the model?

I think it could use alot more geomatry on it since it looks rather low poly with not enough defninition.

Second, why 800x800? HL only supports up to 512x512 (and if above it will be sized down to 512x512).

Third, ALOT of wasted uvspace!

Either mirror the underside (if you decide to do the metall pieces loose) or move it closer and you can get this into a 512x256 texture.

The metall looks a bit sloppy and repeated plus cloudy..

The wood is great but could use a bit shading.

I know you said it was only temporairly, but im just pointing that out just in case.

Sorry if I might sound harsh man, but im only trying to help you out fixing this model. :wink:

TPM_Montross

New Adventurer
Reaction score
poly count is around 800, it looks low poly bcuz it is, i hate low poly modeling bcuz u cant do more "definition", yes it is an 800 x 800 map, just cuz thats wut i like to work iwith, i will scale it later, texture was purely temporary, as in done in about 10 to 15 min, not a masterpiece, just there to show off the model, trust me i would make this model awsome looking but it is a little challenging under the current poly limit, uvw space is wasted bcuz i honestly didnt care atm

dRkILL

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I have to say, it looks very nice, and I'd like to see if used in MS:C. Post a link to for the mdl file when you're done touching it up.

TPM_Montross

New Adventurer
Reaction score
k, i may just send it over to Kuroneko when i'm done, cuz my current host has issues with file downloads

New Adventurer
Reaction score
you made a crossbow ?

lol

it looks...... umm... the crossbow in pvk looks better xD

but your are OK :D

cuz i couldn't make a better one :p

if i could mine would be the best of course :p :D

You did a great job ! :)

You did made it right ? xD

arg !

I think so...

Great job :D it looks cool ! hmm.. how does it look anyway ?

just jokeing :p

Its great !

Witness of God

New Adventurer
Reaction score
My bro said he is leaving Ms forum so he probably wont retexture it. Unless he becomes a dev.

Kuroneko

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Witnessofgod said:
My bro said he is leaving Ms forum so he probably wont retexture it. Unless he becomes a dev.

And he'll never become a dev if he never shows any decent work

\o/ Catch 22! \o/

TPM_Montross

New Adventurer
Reaction score
lol, dont worry i can woop up a good texture, just as soon as i get some time :oldshock:

just cuz i wanted to say this, 100 dolars an hour is completely out of the range of a texture-er like that, there is no way any company has payed him 10k to work on a mod or game or wutever

Witness of God

New Adventurer
Reaction score
believe me i know him i live with him he can and he probably will.

AN advanced game designer can make 170 dollars an hour so i dont know what you are talking about tpm. Research a bit and you may find to your suprise he is right.

dRkILL

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
If there's one thing I've learned from professional game developers who have come to Game Development Club meetings at my school to give speeches, it's that they don't make anywhere near that amount. Let's do a little math crunching, shall we? By what you said....

$170 per hour * 40 hours per week * 52 weeks per year comes to $353,600 per year. (This does not include crunch time developers experience.)

If you look at the number of people on a project, there's maybe about 10 to 20 "advanced developers" as you say. A game company could not afford to pay them that amount. Also, another thing, game developers (along with just about everyone else who works in an office setting) are paid a fixed weekly income, not by the hour.

Most game developers are lucky to even break the $75,000 per year mark. On top of that, there are many times of the year where someone will usually put in over 50 and sometimes over 60 hours per week, typically when a game is due to be released. They do not get paid extra for crunch time.

dRkILL

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I'd just like to add a little more:

If you look at the Gamasutra's website (the best game development information site ever), you'll find statistics of game developer salaries. Here is a link to the salary survey of game developers as of 2002. If you look at the figures, the only people to break the $75,000 per year mark are technical developers, and programmers after 6 years of experience. Artists make even less than that.

Pilsu

New Adventurer
Reaction score
And the game qualities usually reflect that quite well