completely white screen after first game launch openGL popup

Kermit

Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
MSR Developer
Reaction score
Alright as the title states, this is what i experienced. I havent played the game for some time and the last time was on my old harddrive.
As I joined a server,
A popup message appeared with the "we will check if u have openGL this will go away in 10 seconds" or something
and as it dissapeared I was attacked by this:
20170113114354_1.jpg

In the menu there's no brightness
20170113114717_1.jpg

And rejoining looks like this
20170113114706_1.jpg

If I switch to software mode my game crashes instantly.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Re: completely white screen after first game launch openGL p

That's probably the bloom effect, turn it off by pressing B once when you are in the character screen or after loading your character. Or at least it should be B by default (it's in the keyboard options if you want to remap it).

Kermit

Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
MSR Developer
Reaction score

Thank you, I had tried lowering the bloom but didnt zero it, anyhow all the different bloom settings caused the same white screen. Kinda sucks, since I liked a little bit of bloom. Any fixes for this?

MS:C community

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

There are no real fixes for this, and despite one hundred million billion threads like this and subsequent requests to turn bloom off per default (because it's garbage), this "feature" still gets forced down your throat every time you reinstall the mod.

Note: Bloom does actually work when you play in windowed mode, but that's not a fix, of course... Merely a shoddy workaround.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

graphics_test.png

Meh, works in both modes for both the systems I can run it on here - but if the instructions aren't clear enough we'll probably just turn it off by default in the next installer - maybe add it as a mention on one of the Edana help panels. I like the effect myself, particularly on additive renders, but even though we're using official nVidia libraries to get the effect, meh, Windows has been trying to kill OpenGL for years.

Keep in mind that it may do it again for each new character.

(Guess it's a good thing I gave up on adding the bump mapping.)

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

Bloom was actually nice in some maps, too bad it's broken and unusable in full screen.

I recall using this alot back when i played MS:C in my old laptop, it stopped working at some point after updating the gpu drivers i think but i'm not 100% sure on this one.