INFO Client.DLL does not match servers!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
This used to mean you had to update MSC... But thanks to those wild and crazy guys and Valve, *now* it means you have to update Half-Life, or give up Steam Pipe servers.

Basically, that entails a full reinstall:

1) Go to Steam Library, uninstall Half-Life. (Right Click, Delete Local Content...)
2) Re-download, start Half-Life, load Training Room.
3) Close Steam. *
4) Download the Full Installer, from yonder, and install.
5) Download the Betapack, also from yonder, and install.
6) Restart Steam.

* To be safe, at this point, you may also want to find your old Half-Life install (usually Steam\steamapps\<username>\Half-Life) and rename or delete it. Otherwise some legacy cross filing may occur.

If you can't play without a rolled back version of Half-Life, you are SOL so far as playing on Steam Pipe servers is concerned (this includes all the RKS servers). However, this latest patch (JUL2013b) does contain a few fixes for Valve's madness, and there are yet more work arounds coming for various other issues. You may also want to check the top post yonder in case there are solutions for problems you've not yet tried.

Danhor

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Hi,

I have just downloaded the game, but it still says, that dll does not match.

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Did you also grab and install the betapack?

Danhor

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I just installed it, but still aint working :S

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Hrmm...

I'd go in and check that the file dates are correct, in case Win7 file protection got funky and failed to overwrite them:
msc\dlls\ms.dll
msc\dlls\sc.dll
Should both be April 25th, 2012

msc\cl_dlls\client.dll
Should be April 22nd, 2012

(Suffice to say, while there maybe some leeway for your time zone if they are April 2012, they should be good.)

If they aren't good, manually delete them, and try again (and if you can't manually delete them, try rebooting first.)

PS. If you have trouble finding your Steam folder, it's usually: "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\<your user name>\half-life\msc"

But if you still have trouble finding it, try hitting Winkey+R, and pasting into the "Run" blank:
Code:
cmd /c REG QUERY "HKCU\software\valve\steam" /v ModInstallPath >%windir%\steamdir.txt

Then hit the key combo again, and paste:
Code:
notepad %windir%\steamdir.txt

Last line in the text file should have your half-life installation folder.

Danhor

New Adventurer
Reaction score
The files in the folder dlls are 26th, the client.dll is 23rd. Im from europe, so maybe thats the reason why there a 1 day difference. Anyway i deleted them, and still not working. In your oppinion E-mailing me the correct files would work?

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
If they are all April, it sounds like you have the right files... So I'm not sure... What server are you trying to connect to?

Now that I look, I do see a MAR2011 server out there, for some dern reason. >_>

Make sure you stick to proper [FN] servers, such as those listed here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9201

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yeah... :...(

I made some progress today... Got a teleporting spider working, got new weapons in the hands of a fire giant, and fixed a dreaded AllocBlock error. But alas... Probably the last hour I'll have for the next three days, at least.

We don't keep dated DLL's in the packages anymore either, as they aren't usable online... I should edit that post or something.

Danhor said:
I was trying to connect to the ones on the page "internet". I added the ones in the list, but still the same message...
If the RKS servers aren't working, and your client.dll is April... I can't think of what else it could be. Lest maybe the betapack download was corrupted, but that seems hella unlikely.

Danhor

New Adventurer
Reaction score
So I reinstalled the game and the betapack, just to be faced with the ugly truth, that it still aint working.
But to top it all, my character is gone... :D Seems like the universe doesnt want me to play ms...

Danhor

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I managed to join an rks server, and i was thrilled when i saw my character appear on the character select menu, but when i started the game, it was a level 1 ...any ideas?

I played a couple days only on "establish kingdom". Does it mean, that my character wasnt stored on the server, only on my computer?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
If you weren't playing on an FN server, it wasn't saved to FN... So yeah, you'll have to start over - although that'll go a lot quicker if you can find a friend to back you up.

Danhor

New Adventurer
Reaction score
At least I get a worthy rewardfor the sarcifice :D. Thanks guys :)

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Yeah... :...(

I made some progress today... Got a teleporting spider working, got new weapons in the hands of a fire giant, and fixed a dreaded AllocBlock error. But alas... Probably the last hour I'll have for the next three days, at least.
*shrug* Hey, progress is progress. I commend you for anything you've gotten done <3

itzTheresa

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Hello, I'm sorry for posting on an old thread, but I am also experiencing this issue with Master Sword. I just downloaded Master Sword Continued and downloaded the MSC Betapack-Jul2013b

I am not sure if I was supposed to download the Jul2013a patch first. I did not manually install the Jul2013b patch.

Any help would be appreciated and thank you for your time.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
itzTheresa said:
Hello, I'm sorry for posting on an old thread, but I am also experiencing this issue with Master Sword. I just downloaded Master Sword Continued and downloaded the MSC Betapack-Jul2013b

I am not sure if I was supposed to download the Jul2013a patch first. I did not manually install the Jul2013b patch.

Any help would be appreciated and thank you for your time.
http://www.msremake.com/download.php

^ First you need the Full Installer (currently DEC2010), then the Betapack (currently JUL2013b).

Self executing Betapacks will update you completely from the last full installer or any version after, and shouldn't require anything else unless they specify otherwise. JUL2013a no longer exists - there's just a smaller, manual patch there as a shortcut for those few who did grab it.

Suffice to say, you never need more than the full installer and latest betapack.

Granted, I suppose I should start having the betapack installers mention which full installer they require, to avoid confusion the next time we get around to making another full installer - but it's been the same one for the last three years or so.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Thothie said:
http://www.msremake.com/download.php

^ First you need the Full Installer (currently DEC2010), then the Betapack (currently JUL2013b).

Self executing Betapacks will update you completely from the last full installer or any version after, and shouldn't require anything else unless they specify otherwise. JUL2013a no longer exists - there's just a smaller, manual patch there as a shortcut for those few who did grab it.

Suffice to say, you never need more than the full installer and latest betapack.

Granted, I suppose I should start having the betapack installers mention which full installer they require, to avoid confusion the next time we get around to making another full installer - but it's been the same one for the last three years or so.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=9582&p=145845#p145845

She (given by the nickname) could be having issues with the half life update. I think old versions of half life are having the .dll problems, given that when i installed HL and msc on my new desktop, it was the new version and i tested that mouse hotfix you posted in the forums with the new version, which let me join FN servers with a different dll, which is unusual.

I do believe it could be that (old HL -> dll problems when connecting/patching), (new HL -> possibly join servers with any dll[seems to be wrong but w/e])

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Ug... Yeah, you're probably right.

Using a different client.dll from the server no longer trips the error, as the Valve guys broke the actual client.dll mismatch error in favor of preventing you from connecting with older versions of Half-life, and giving you the error for that instead.

So, if you are using the older version of Half-Life, follow the instructions yonder:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9589

I should probably edit the top post to reflect this...

itzTheresa

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thank you, I truly appreciate it. It was nice to see that all of my old stuff from years ago is still there!

The problem was the different versions of Half-Life and the thread you linked to explained how to fix the problem.