cleffect rendercolor black sprites

greatguys1

Epic Adventurer
MSC Developer
Warriors of the North
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I'm trying to make the blood sprite have a black color, though, I don't seem to be able to do it.

Code:
{  [client] setup_sprite1_flame

cleffect tempent set_current_prop death_delay     $randf(0.5,2)
    cleffect tempent set_current_prop framerate    0
    cleffect tempent set_current_prop velocity    $vec($randf(-100,100),$randf(-100,100),$randf(-50,0))
    cleffect tempent set_current_prop frames    9
    cleffect tempent set_current_prop scale     0.5
    cleffect tempent set_current_prop gravity     -0.2
    cleffect tempent set_current_prop collide     none
    cleffect tempent set_current_prop frame        $rand(0,8)
    cleffect tempent set_current_prop rendermode    add
    cleffect tempent set_current_prop renderamt    220
    cleffect tempent set_current_prop rendercolor    (100,100,100)
}

I tried various rendermodes with redercolor at 0,0,0, but I can't seem to do it. All I really want from this is small smoke-like particles. I can't find smoke sprites either, at least, not one that I want.

greatguys1

Epic Adventurer
MSC Developer
Warriors of the North
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Could you also explain the render modes in a bit more detail? I don't understand them that well.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Bleh, sprites are weird and sometimes have internal properties. Ya might not be able to do that, but try changing the rendermode to color instead of add (it's straight out with additive, as the darker something is, the less visible.).

Also remember you have access to all the sprites in half-life/valve/sprites as well.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
To your second post, normally they're pretty simple, but for some dargon reason, in the client scripts, Dogg setup names rather than using the standard numbering. It's important to know the number codes as well, as everything outside the client scripts uses them (eg. setmodelprop ent_me rendermode 5)

Translating it as follows:
# = <dogg_word>: <effect>
0 = "normal": Standard render (renderamt has no effect)
1 = "color": Usually for sprites, applies color, often to a grayscale sprite. Renderamt affects alpha.
2 = "texture": Texture faded by renderamt (normal being 255)
3 = "glow": Render directly to the HUD over all other objects (strictly sprites only) - sometimes also useful for sprite effects, such as light halos. Renderamt affects alpha.
^ Mind this does NOT position the sprite on the hud, it merely means it will render "on top" from wherever it is positioned - though not always through walls.
4 = "alpha": (aka. {solid) - Treats the texture as a mask, with the last color in the palette serving as transparency (traditionally, this is indicated with blue).
5 = "add": (aka. ghost effect) - Textures render increasingly transparent the less bright they are, with white being the brightest. The brighter colors glow (a lot, with Bloom.) Renderamt affects translucency. Setting an alpha model to renderamt 0 will delete it from the client - so use 1 if you want to hide it temporarily.

Little tweak with Dogg's "add" is that it also mixes in the rendercolor, but does so in an additive fashion. So, if you try to "add" a red sprite with a blue rendercolor, it'll turn purple, and semi-transparent, thus, when using "add" on sprite's with a color, the effects can be a bit hard to predict, particularly if they aren't uniform in color already.

Sprite and model rendercolors are (RRR,GGG,BBB), I believe. Beams and some other client effects are (R.RR,G.GG,B.BB,A.AA) [ie. (1.0,0.0,1.0,0.5) is 50% transparent purple.], hence the $clcol() command, which just converts standard (RRR,GGG,BBB) format to this and assumes 100% alpha.

Renderfx, for setmodelprop and the server is *normally*:
Code:
		0: "Normal"
		1: "Slow Pulse"
		2: "Fast Pulse"
		3: "Slow Wide Pulse"
		4: "Fast Wide Pulse"
		9: "Slow Strobe"
		10: "Fast Strobe"
		11: "Faster Strobe"
		12: "Slow Flicker"
		13: "Fast Flicker"
		5: "Slow Fade Away"
		6: "Fast Fade Away"
		7: "Slow Become Solid"
		8: "Fast Become Solid"
		14: "Constant Glow"
		15: "Distort"
		16: "Hologram (Distort + fade)"

However, in the cleffect, Dogg only gave us three:
"normal" - no fx
"glow" - adds a glow shell based on rendercolor (not sure where it stores the size, seems to default to 8)
"player" - this is strictly for dead bodies

greatguys1

Epic Adventurer
MSC Developer
Warriors of the North
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I'll just have to compromise with the next-best looking sprite in the smoke effect. I could make my own but eh.
I see now. Wording in the scripting all docs was somewhat confusing.

Thank you

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Edited that with a bit more info while you were still typing, apparently.