Can't play NOV2015 after using alpha.

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
No matter how separated I try to keep the installations from each other (keeping them out of the half life directory and renaming them to keep track of swapping between them) NOV2015 will not allow me to load into any map, offline or onto servers FN or not. It exits out with no message at all.

The alpha still works fine, but I would really like play on FN to pass the time when there is nothing to test. :/

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
You still have the new text scheme files in the NOV2015 directory?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
:\

Can't even load a map in single player, on a fresh install... The heck.

If... Your renamed MSC folder is under Half-Life - Steam maybe getting confused about which it's running - and if that msc folder isn't named "msc", it might cause msc some confusion when Steam tries to run that one. (Steam gets confused when there's two Half-Life mods with the same listlib.gam data.)

Only other thing is maybe Steam was open when you did your reinstall.

Suggestion: Try moving the version of MSC ya don't want to a temp folder outside of Steam somewhere, then restart Steam and try to launch MSC.

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Moved my other versions of MSC to a completey different drive, did not work. Tried overwriting my text scheme files with someone elses who is currently playing on NOV2015, did not work.

Edit; Cleared my launch options too, nothing.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Restarted Steam I take it? It'll be confused about its mod indexes until you do.

Meh, looking into killing .blob files and sh*t at this point. I'm getting pulled out, but I'll try it myself when I get back.

Maybe @The Man In Black has some other ideas meanwhile. :\

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Outside of the blob file I don't have any other thoughts at the moment, other than restarting the computer itself.

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Yep, been restarting steam. Just tried reinstalling half life and restarting my PC, which yielded me seeing a very brief flash of ingame time before it crashed out just the same as before.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
You using -condebug? Anything in that log?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Back sooner than expected - it'll be qconsole.log in your half-life root - testing stuff here...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I just rolled back my DLLs and joined #14 just fine. :\ (Didn't even restore any of the media folders.)

Suspect this has something to do with renaming your MSC folder and making Steam think it has two of the same mod... But it's odd you can get as far as attempting to load a map then. And the other problem is, I'm not exactly sure where Steam saves that info these days.

Console's not got anything unusual, save for the abrupt stop... You could check log_cldll.log and (when attempting to launch local listen) your log_msdll.log, but judging by your qconsole.log, I doubt it's getting far enough along to launch those. Seems like it's not finding the dlls.

Also dun think the old client blob is even a thing anymore, just an auto update blob. I mean, ya can search out *.blob from your Steam root and go move them all somewhere, but... Grr...

edit: Could also try renaming your MSC folder to whatever you called the backup folder, restarting Steam, and see what it does. Might not fix it, but may offer more clues.

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Alright, tried some of my other half life mods both single and multiplayer. Some of them work and some of them yield the same results as MSC.

Edit: Half-Life currently has a steam beta and I tried that, other than slightly changing the server window layout it had no effect.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yup, mod indexing is muxed due to the double mod install. It should rebuild it when you restart Steam though, so that's what's got me stumped.

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Steam normally doesn't have a problem with multiple installs of the same mod, the only problem being you can't play on servers with other people unless the host has the same exact filename. Also, it has worked just fine in the past, allowing me to have multiple installs of the same mod, but only started screwing up now after installing the MSC alpha.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I've had problems like this before when I tried to simply rename the MSC folder. It's okay to have different versions of the same mod under different names, but if the listlib.gam's are the same, Steam tends to get confused as to which one's launching, and if you remove one, can't find the dlls. But again, Steam should be refreshing its mod library on each restart, and I've no idea where it stores that.

Ya can try launching it from RUN or the command prompt, see if that gets its head back in the game:
Code:
%steam_path%\Steam.exe -applaunch 70 -game msc -condebug -num_edicts 1500 +connect 54.38.76.55:27016

Meanwhile, gonna try to figure where Steam keeps its mod libraries, since it apparently isn't the client blob anymore.

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Code:
%steam_path%\Steam.exe -applaunch 70 -game msc -condebug -num_edicts 1500 +connect 54.38.76.55:27016
This did not work. Even tried the alpha server to see if anything different at all might happen, nothing. Same results.
It seems to be crashing out at "Parsing game info..." if that helps.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
There's probably less drastic steps we could try, but...

1) Uninstall Half-Life in Steam

2) Close Steam

3) Make a temp folder on the root of the same drive.

4) Go to your Half-Life Folder, select all folders, except VALVE (if it still exists - delete it). Do not select any files in the Half-Life root, just folders.

5) Ctr+X to cut all those folders, dump them in your temp folder. (Should be instant, on the same drive.)

6) Restart Steam.

7) Reacquire Half-LIfe, launch, open training center, exit.

8) Close Steam AGAIN.

9) Move all those folders back to where they were.

10) Sacrifice one baby to Gabe Newell while dancing naked under pale moonlight.

11) Restart Steam, and see if those mods work again.

edit: Ya could also try moving mods from the temp folder back to half-life one at a time, restarting Steam each time, but that'd be painful.

Kanta

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
So. I had to completely delete the steamlibrary on a certain drive to get half life to reinstall onto a different drive in addition to reinstalling the entire program (which i was told uninstalling wouldnt delete my games but it did anyways...) but now half life and its mods work now again.

That was painful.

DemonEye

Adventurer
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
I have seen the slow descent into madness Half-Life errors bring. Kanta stared into the eyes of madness and it consumed him.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Insane.

Probably too late for me to say so now, but I know one thing that helps with a lot of odd file-control issues is to keep Steam out of your Program Files folder. Something to keep in mind the next time you reinstall Steam, if you didn't do it already. Windows has a habit of being overzealous in folders it considers partly "controlled". (Also occasionally deleting everything in them - in one particularly nasty 1809 update.) For developers, it also doesn't help that there's a space in that file path - which sometimes screws with legacy and ameture developer software.

I've since added a "DO NOT RENAME YOUR MSC FOLDER" to the Standard Alphapack Disclaimer, and updated the alpha thread accordingly.