Bug topic

cfreyrun

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Since I encounter bugs so often I might as well just drop what I find here.

Server crash on level change
The servers constantly crash on map switch which is making some maps near impossible to get to. I thought it was just FN at the time but trying it on a local server causes my game to crash as well on switch.

Is there anything I'm missing/doing that I'm not aware of. I don't use shields since I heard they cause crashes, I'm not a dwarf, and I set -num_edicts 1500 in launch options.

Not sure why it happens, but any insight on why would be nice, thanks.

Skycastle is broken
Transitioning is currently impossible

NPC's break often
Random stuff from ignoring inputs from chat, to refusing to sell to you(Made my last old_helena run worthless as fuck). No idea why but it's probably related to the servers nuking themselves from just being on.

Chest's randomly killing fps
Interacting with chests will randomly nuke your fps down to 1-3, best way to avoid it is wait even longer than advised by the game.

Cleicert Lightning Horrors shuts down the server
Once Lightning horrors start casting that lightning sigil the server just shuts down.

Jaydeus

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Re: Server crashes on FN/Local on map switch.

Yep. This glitch ruins the experience of the game. There is a 90+% chance of the game crashing, when playing with another person and making a transition. This applies even if the other player leaves before you do the transition. This mean you cannot do gauntlet maps or enter any "hidden" maps, lest you crash. What is really stupid is that you cannot vote for these maps, and the only way to get to them is via transition. This wouldn't be so bad... but if the server crashes and you try to rejoin, it does not let you do the map.

-num_edicts 1500 does not work.

Wishbone

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Heroes of Dawn
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score

There's an unhandled memory exception whenever servers change maps which make them halt, hence why it takes a bit for them to start back up. Unfortunately, there's nothing the client can do to fix the issue.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

Just like wishbone said, there are memory issues that don't seem to go away, everyone has the same issue.

I think the best solution to avoid this problem is to have your own FN server, since you can restart things when you want, it won't stop the crashing, but it will surely help you go where you want to. I remember listen servers being capable of 1 or 2 mapchanges before the host gets striked with a memory issue, dedicated servers on the other hand will act the sameway as the ones you play on online.

If you want to request FN access, follow the link:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=9962#p150376

Despite the "rules" for FN hosting, there are people who have access to it that don't follow some of the said rules or have gotten access without being wildly known, so yeah. Should ignore some of the stuff (the biggie is mostly to avoid breaking the game through glitching or exploiting, stay away from that and you will be fine long term).

Basically you guys want to enjoy this as much as you can but the servers don't help you get the best of it. So being advised to get your own server is always a good thing for both the mod and yourselves. Best of luck with the request, if you decide to go this path.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Jaydeus said:
This mean you cannot do gauntlet maps or enter any "hidden" maps, lest you crash. What is really stupid is that you cannot vote for these maps, and the only way to get to them is via transition. This wouldn't be so bad... but if the server crashes and you try to rejoin, it does not let you do the map.

You actually can vote for any gauntlet or hidden map you were transitioning to, provided you do not touch any other transition. (So if you pop back up in the Edana main chamber, votemap to your intended destination.) As this information is saved to your character, this remains true even if you go to another server. (Though, for your own safety, close out MSC entirely before switching servers.)

There's no surefire way to avoid a transition crash, but the most dependable way is to have everyone manually disconnect, save one player who makes the actual transition.

cfreyrun

New Adventurer
Reaction score

Thothie said:
Jaydeus said:
This mean you cannot do gauntlet maps or enter any "hidden" maps, lest you crash. What is really stupid is that you cannot vote for these maps, and the only way to get to them is via transition. This wouldn't be so bad... but if the server crashes and you try to rejoin, it does not let you do the map.

You actually can vote for any gauntlet or hidden map you were transitioning to, provided you do not touch any other transition. (So if you pop back up in the Edana main chamber, votemap to your intended destination.) As this information is saved to your character, this remains true even if you go to another server. (Though, for your own safety, close out MSC entirely before switching servers.)

There's no surefire way to avoid a transition crash, but the most dependable way is to have everyone manually disconnect, save one player who makes the actual transition.

I had a character at skycastle but I couldn't actually votemap back to it. How exactly do you votemap to it? For instance, the server would crash on transition, tell us we need to go back due to not actually being there despite just beating the last map, and then we couldnt vote to it.

Was this memory issue due to valve adding unneeded updates to goldsrc stuff? I remember them effectively killing human error by adding stuff to source that screwed the mod up. Will there ever be a fix for master sword?

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score

I had a character at skycastle
I think Skycastle is actually suffering from a completely different glitch right now that makes it inaccessible no matter what. At least, last I heard Skycastle couldn't be accessed as of this last patch.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Yeah, skycastle is buggered in NOV2015 due to a slip up in case sensitivity when we had to remake the gauntlet system for some of the new map series.

cfreyrun

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Re: Frey's bug topic

Added NPC's bugging out randomly to my list. Can't really replicate it, but it happens rather often.

FPS also drops to 3 sometimes when interacting with a chest

cfreyrun

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Re: Frey's bug topic

Lightning horrors on Cleicert pretty much shut down the server the second that lightning magic symbol hits the ground.