Not open for further replies.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
J-M v2.5.5 said:
Does the vorpal tongue affect stamina regen rate or something...?

And this patch made MS:C like twice as unstable :oldshock:
Couldn't affect that if I wanted to. :\

I'm not getting any more crashes than usual, and have only had one hard crash since the patch, but there's also a lot more server activity. I'm used to seeing about a quarter of the RKS servers down at any given time, and that seems to be actually happening less often, but then again, it maybe Keldorn is restarting them behind my back, and they are being more closely monitored. Since they've no reliable auto-restart system, and no log to go with, it's hard to tell. It really should be more stable, with all the optimizations, but alas...

littleaznboi said:
Server crashes every time at maldora :oldangry:
Bloody hell... I must have run like 30 tests on that fugger... I can't reliably duplicate either of the crash issues in Lodagond for the life of me. Did a bunch of nutty stuff to try to reduce the likelihood, including reworking his death sequence entirely, but nadda I guess, despite it behaving for over a dozen runs in a row.

littleaznboi

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
We have to have one person do the blue crystal room just so it doesn't crash. Also its crashed at maldora the last 7 out of eight times. Either somethings messed up or the servers are.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Three questions which hopefully won't be interpreted the wrong way:
- Why does Tor'whodoc's potion supply @ old_helena no longer restock?
- Why does zappy town's zappy alchemist, who can only be reached after fighting your way through zappy palace, which is filled with zappy orcs who attack you with all sorts of zappy, not sell a potion of immunity to zappy?
- The unholy blade is vastly outdamaged by just about everything, including a blood drinker. Can you tell me, in your own words, why one would want to acquire such a sword? What are the advantages? What makes the weapon good/useful?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Three questions which hopefully won't be interpreted the wrong way:
- Why does Tor'whodoc's potion supply @ old_helena no longer restock?
Was a bug. Also, none of the stores restock anymore, was causing issues.

- Why does zappy town's zappy alchemist, who can only be reached after fighting your way through zappy palace, which is filled with zappy orcs who attack you with all sorts of zappy, not sell a potion of immunity to zappy?
Zappy folk don't sell anti-zappy stuff, because they think they might have to zap other folks who might acquire said anti-zappy stuff. ;)

- The unholy blade is vastly outdamaged by just about everything, including a blood drinker. Can you tell me, in your own words, why one would want to acquire such a sword? What are the advantages? What makes the weapon good/useful?
Well, the damage amount is the same as the Felewyn shard (350), which is what I was comparing it with, and has better features, and 350 is 100 better than the Shadowfire/Nova blade, but tis true, 50 points shy of the Blood Drinker, and of course, while nothing has Dark energy immunity, nothing has Dark energy vulnerability either. Probably have to equal those out some. (It's also an apostle weapon component, but that shouldn't be a factor at this point.)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I don't the Felewyn would approve of you corrupting Her shards like that. ;)

Keldorn

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
My entire spellbook vanished along with Aische's heavy crossbow, only to end up in Zeus' inventory somehow.

Wut.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Keldorn said:
My entire spellbook vanished along with Aische's heavy crossbow, only to end up in Zeus' inventory somehow.

Wut.

Old report i made.

Seems to be the same bug to me, just even more weird this time... >_>

PY004

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thothie said:
I'm not getting any more crashes than usual, and have only had one hard crash since the patch, but there's also a lot more server activity. I'm used to seeing about a quarter of the RKS servers down at any given time, and that seems to be actually happening less often, but then again, it maybe Keldorn is restarting them behind my back, and they are being more closely monitored. Since they've no reliable auto-restart system, and no log to go with, it's hard to tell. It really should be more stable, with all the optimizations, but alas...

I've been attempting to improving the restarting system and manually restarting those that have crashed. It seems keldorn's been doing this to a certain degree to as i logged in this morning to find all the servers running. Either somehow i managed to fix the restarting system 100% without introducing bugs into the software, or Keldorn'/thothie been restarting overnight.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
RKS.PY004 said:
I've been attempting to improving the restarting system and manually restarting those that have crashed. It seems keldorn's been doing this to a certain degree to as i logged in this morning to find all the servers running. Either somehow i managed to fix the restarting system 100% without introducing bugs into the software, or Keldorn'/thothie been restarting overnight.
I keep looking, but haven't had to restart any myself since early yesterday (and then just 2)... I've gottem in my HLSW so I can check em all at once (more reliably than Steam's browser will allow, and faster than visiting the admin page).

There are some MSC locks/crashes that will leave the server looking operational to most restarters (eg. serverdoc).

If you're geek enough to work up something custom: once a minute, the MSC game_master script will check for a file called "heartbeat.txt", and delete it, if it finds it. If the game_master script is working, it's more or less guaranteed the server is fully functional. Might not be too hard to work, even by batch file (coupled with pstools), something that creates the file and checks it every 5 minutes or so, and slays the HLDS if it's still there 5 minutes later, however, it might get complicated if there are multiple HLDS.exe's running on the same box.

I dunno if the servers are using ms_reset_if_empty 1 - which causes the server to quit (restart) to Edana if it empties out (and there's no recent map change nor change in progress). I find this keeps the server fresh - less "build up".

PY004

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hmm I might give that a try. Right now it's sending a query to the individual game server every 3 minutes (the same one HLSW uses to pul up server name and slots). If it doesn't respond 3 times in a row it will restart the server. Fixed a couple bugs with this approach so it's working better now (i hope) . And it also changes to edana if empty.

For now I will see how effective this revised restart program works and if it's not good enough, I will definitley try your approach.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Does it just switch to Edana, or quit and restart? Cuz I think the former is the default behavior. I'd have the latter be the default behavior, but it'd confuse folks without a restarter.

PY004

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Well, ms_reset_if_empty is set to 1.
It's described in the cfg that this will reset the server after it does a changelevel.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
default server.cfg said:
// Change map to Edana this many minutes after the last player leaves
ms_timelimit 10

// If this is set to 1, reset (quit) the server, after switching to edana via ms_timelimit
ms_reset_if_empty 0
Description is a bit off... It writes "map edana" to the crashed.cfg, then quits the server.

Everything is a "bit off" with this darn mod. >_>

PY004

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thothie said:
default server.cfg said:
// Change map to Edana this many minutes after the last player leaves
ms_timelimit 10

// If this is set to 1, reset (quit) the server, after switching to edana via ms_timelimit
ms_reset_if_empty 0
Description is a bit off... It writes "map edana" to the crashed.cfg, then quits the server.

Everything is a "bit off" with this darn mod. >_>

LOL still an awesome mod despite the "bit off"-ness. I'd play more often, but ever since my members decided to go play something else, I've been feeling left out since everyone else has like 900+ HP and there's like no one I know around my level lol.

Bit off mod, bit off server, fits well.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
spellcasting.fire, spellcasting.affliction, accordingly.

jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
Hey Thothie you said to remind you of the 'invisible body' bug. Whenever somebody disconnects from a server while they're dead, their body will be invisible when you next see them. I'm not sure how else to repeat this, haven't noticed anything else.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Thanks... I think, the way we setup the model fix, the quest data for model layout gets stored every time the model layout changes - and since it resets on death, if you disconnect while dead, you come up all 0's. ...but why the armor doesn't show up (or reset when it's initialized it for that matter) is the bit that confuses me.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Horrors, yes, and done... I think you'll like my solution there. ;)

Maldora's being a real mystery though. :(

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Thothie said:
I think you'll like my solution there. ;)
I'll like the solution when the horrors are either gone or when there's a 100% chance that Lodagond can be beaten 1000000000000000000000000000 times in a row without a single crash.

Or both...

Status
Not open for further replies.