Bloom

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Several...

ms_bloom_level 0 - in config.cfg/userconfig.cfg/autoexec.cfg, or just at console
choosebloom - at console in game, cycles through levels (think this also defaults to B on the keyboard)

At main menu: Options->Advanced->Bloom Level (set to 0)

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Bloom should be off by default. Turning bloom off is not intuitive. Many new players don't even realize that it can be toggled at all. It ruins the game for most people; a lot of potential players never make it past edana because of our bloom feature.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
That might be true because alot of people have lag issues when they play with bloom, so turning it off might be a good idea indeed, i do like using bloom from time to time in some maps, but making it automatically on on startup isn't a good way to incentive new players into the mod, some might encounter a problem related to it and go like "What the f*ck is this? This game sucks and can't even be played! /RAGEQUIT"

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Was considering that, and the reflections as well... As Edana is maybe 1 of 4 places they actually appear, and you spawn looking right at those mirrors. Tends to make those legacy and OpenGL unfriendly cards scream "FUUUUUUUUU!" every bit as much as the bloom does. ...and as you have both in the same place, with a default install...

I think it'd have to wait until the next full installer... Although... I might be able to tweak something up to detect a first run - but it'd turn off everyone's bloom and reflections at least once.

Red Cell

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
It'd be cool if bloom could be enabled when your character drinks an alcoholic beverage (or takes some E).

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
We can do lots of other visual effects on that system... I think you can fiddle with it yourself simply by opening the cg files in msc/cgprograms with notepad, or some such. Not really messed with it myself though.